Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Helpful Household Hints  (Read 3256 times)

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Helpful Household Hints
on: January 06, 2012, 04:20:49 PM
I thought it would fun to post some household hints that I've found helpful. Please feel free to post any of your tips and ask any questions. We may have the answer for you and if we don't, we may be able to find the answer for you or someone else may know.

If any of these tips worked for you, please let us know. If they didn't, you didn't see it here!   ;)  

Even though there may appear to be a lot of nonsense here with forum members kidding about this and that, there are lots of sensible tips. Just look between the lines.

Thanks!

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
HOW TO REHEAT PIZZA
Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 06:19:09 PM
HOW TO REHEAT PIZZA

Heat leftover pizza in a nonstick skillet on top of the stove; set heat to med-low
And heat till warm. This keeps the crust crispy. No soggy micro pizza. I saw this on the food channel and it really works.

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reheating Refrigerated Bread
Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 06:20:41 PM
Reheating refrigerated bread

To warm biscuits, pancakes, or muffins that were refrigerated, place them in
a microwave next to a cup of water. The increased moisture will keep the food
moist and help it reheat faster. This is good for reheating Indian Naan bread as well.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Re: HELPFUL HOUSEHOLD HINTS
Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 06:29:57 PM
This is like Heloise's Hints - a column from the Lincoln Star Journal.  does the refrigerated bread hint go for frozen bread as well?
Let's see.  If your italian espresso coffee maker (the ones you put over the flame) seems to get clogged up and the coffee doesnt' come up but just spurts and hisses, run the bottom half under cold water, put it back over the flame, and it comes up like nothing flat.  Let's see how many can use that hint...

Offline cherub_rocker1979

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 07:26:34 PM
This is like Heloise's Hints - a column from the Lincoln Star Journal.  does the refrigerated bread hint go for frozen bread as well?
Let's see.  If your italian espresso coffee maker (the ones you put over the flame) seems to get clogged up and the coffee doesnt' come up but just spurts and hisses, run the bottom half under cold water, put it back over the flame, and it comes up like nothing flat.  Let's see how many can use that hint...

Actually, I do have a Bialetti Moka pot...as well as a French press.  I sure love my coffee.  Thanks for the tip!

Here's another one:  Make sure you're not using too fine coffee grounds.  They should be somewhere between the coarseness of drip coffee and espresso machines.

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 07:41:28 PM
This is like Heloise's Hints - a column from the Lincoln Star Journal.  does the refrigerated bread hint go for frozen bread as well?
Let's see.  If your italian espresso coffee maker (the ones you put over the flame) seems to get clogged up and the coffee doesnt' come up but just spurts and hisses, run the bottom half under cold water, put it back over the flame, and it comes up like nothing flat.  Let's see how many can use that hint...

If your bread is frozen, you probably should defrost in the refrigerator, then reheat in the microwave next to a cup of water. Thanks for your tip, Birba. I'll try it next time I have that problem.

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
EASY DEVILLED EGGS
Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 07:49:45 PM
When I lived in Texas, I was introduced to deviled eggs. Now, up in Canada, I don't see them anywhere but I like to make them only once in a long while as I feel sorry for the chickens.  :( When I do make them, I always use free run eggs.

EASY DEVILLED EGGS

Put cooked egg yolks in a zip lock bag. Seal; mash till they are all broken up. Add remainder of ingredients, reseal, keep mashing it up mixing thoroughly, cut the tip of the baggy; squeeze mixture into egg. Just throw bag away when done - easy clean up. When done, cover the deviled eggs lightly with plastic and refrigerate for up to one day before serving.

The rest of the ingredients:

6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and cut lengthwise
¼ cup Light Mayonnaise or Salad Dressing
½ teaspoon dry ground mustard
½ teaspoon white vinegar
1/8 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Paprika for garnish

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
EASY CLEAN UP FOR PET OWNERS
Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 01:21:10 AM
EASY CLEAN UP FOR PET OWNERS

This is something I discovered by accident. We have a cat so there's a cat tree in our house, as well as a large scratching post and cat beds at the windows. One day, I was wondering how I was going to clean the carpeting on the cat tree and on the scratching post. So I reached for a pre-moistened Lysol sheet and used it to wipe down the surfaces of the tree and post. It worked really well and also removed stains that were embedded in the carpet. It also disinfected the area, so it was doubly beneficial. Since then, I've used Lysol sheets to remove light pet accidents from the carpet.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 04:39:36 AM
Always clear your browser history once a week - this helps keep your browser working faster and saves space.

Run a registry cleaner program once a month - this helps keep your computer from trying to open programs that are no longer installed and increases overall efficiency of your machine.

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: January 07, 2012, 05:14:11 AM
How do you clear your browser history?

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 06:37:50 AM
Always clear your browser history once a week - this helps keep your browser working faster and saves space.

Run a registry cleaner program once a month - this helps keep your computer from trying to open programs that are no longer installed and increases overall efficiency of your machine.

Is this "resistry cleaner program" something I can find on internet.  Where do I go to get it?

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 02:51:39 PM
Is this "resistry cleaner program" something I can find on internet.  Where do I go to get it?

The program I use can be found here:

https://www.tweaknow.com/RegCleaner.php

It's a very good program that has lots of good reviews at CNET.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 02:56:11 PM
How do you clear your browser history?

I'm using Firefox 9.0 and what I do is I click on the "Firefox" icon on the top left corner->go to "History" and clear everything (cookies, web forms, etc.)

Every browser has something similar, hope this helps.

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 04:46:09 PM
I'm using Firefox 9.0 and what I do is I click on the "Firefox" icon on the top left corner->go to "History" and clear everything (cookies, web forms, etc.)

Every browser has something similar, hope this helps.

I've cleaned out my history and also run the registry cleaner program. Thanks for the great tip!

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 05:11:07 PM
This is driving me crazy.  I always used firefox (not the latest) until it started to screw up my computer.  Someone said it was because of the adobe flash player or something like that.  So I went back to internet explorer.  (BOOOOOORING)  But I left the programmes and the icons on desktop.  So now I just downloaded firefox 9 but now I don't know where to go and find it.  In the programmes, it still results the old version.  Where did it go?!

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 05:52:25 PM
This is driving me crazy.  I always used firefox (not the latest) until it started to screw up my computer.  Someone said it was because of the adobe flash player or something like that.  So I went back to internet explorer.  (BOOOOOORING)  But I left the programmes and the icons on desktop.  So now I just downloaded firefox 9 but now I don't know where to go and find it.  In the programmes, it still results the old version.  Where did it go?!

What you've done is you've downloaded the installation file.  You need to find it so you can install the program.  Try looking in your "My Documents" folder, or right on your desktop.

In the future whenever you want to install a new program, specify where you want the computer to save the installation file (usually an exe. file).  "My Documents" folder is a good place to do it.  Then you'll know where to go and find it so you can install the program.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 05:59:48 PM
I also recommend keeping all your software up-to-date (browser, Java, Adobe Acrobat and Flash player, iTunes/Quicktime, Windows).  This is very important to help keep your PC secure and stable.

It also doesn't hurt to run Disk Defragmenter about once every quarter.  It should already be installed in every computer as part of Windows.  This would also be a good time to vacuum the dust off your machine and hardware (again, about once every quarter).

• PS Silver Member
Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 06:00:44 PM
I've cleaned out my history and also run the registry cleaner program. Thanks for the great tip!

You're welcome!

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 08:56:29 PM
I also recommend keeping all your software up-to-date (browser, Java, Adobe Acrobat and Flash player, iTunes/Quicktime, Windows).  This is very important to help keep your PC secure and stable.

It also doesn't hurt to run Disk Defragmenter about once every quarter.  It should already be installed in every computer as part of Windows.  This would also be a good time to vacuum the dust off your machine and hardware (again, about once every quarter).

How do I run Disk Defragmenter? Where do I find it? I have a new HP Pavilion netbook with Windows 7. As far as keeping software up to date, I get a pop up notice to update such and such software. Is that what you mean? Thanks so much for your tips and help.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 09:37:17 PM
What you've done is you've downloaded the installation file.  You need to find it so you can install the program.  Try looking in your "My Documents" folder, or right on your desktop.

In the future whenever you want to install a new program, specify where you want the computer to save the installation file (usually an exe. file).  "My Documents" folder is a good place to do it.  Then you'll know where to go and find it so you can install the program.
OK.  I located the setup thing in my documents like you said and I brought the little icon to desktop. I had it "eseguito" - run through, I guess you would say.  But the icon is still the setup one.  not the fox embracing the globe.  But don't worry about it.  I can live without firefox, i guess...

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #20 on: January 07, 2012, 09:50:37 PM
Well Birba you should install it not just run through I think. And I mean you can clean history on Internet explorer too (i don't have it but my mum does)... and you could try Google Chrome, that's what I have... I think it's the best.   :P but I guess just cause I'm used to it.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: January 07, 2012, 09:53:28 PM
Thanks littletune.  I have seen this chrome thing - now do I just download it and that's it?

Offline littletune

• PS Silver Member
Reply #22 on: January 07, 2012, 10:02:01 PM
Well yes... but I think you'll still have to install it after you download it... I think that's how it is with all programs... but it's not really difficult... you just open it and click install... (if I remember right). I'm sure you can figure it out! Just don't think about it like it's a big deal, you just have to try a little and then you figure it out... computers are like life... you can never learn EVERYTHING about life, you figure things out when you need to figure them out.  :P

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: January 07, 2012, 10:14:57 PM
Like I always say, "out of the mouths of babes..."
Thanks Littletune.  I'll try it and let you know.

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #24 on: January 07, 2012, 10:31:36 PM
Birba: Google Chrome is okay but some programs and websites do not support it. I run a website and I am unable to do my website maintenance with Chrome. It only works with Firefox or Explorer.

It sounds like you've already installed Firefox. Look under PROGRAMS and look for Mozilla Firefox. Is it there? Some time during installation, you may have accidentally said you didn't want the icon on your desktop so it's hiding under Programs.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: January 07, 2012, 11:34:31 PM
Yes, I think Firefox is a bit better.  But I agree with everything else Littletune said, so true.

Birba: Try clicking on "Start" and then "All Programs".

I think you have both the old and the new versions of the program, you just need to find the new one!

• PS Silver Member
Reply #26 on: January 07, 2012, 11:37:33 PM
How do I run Disk Defragmenter? Where do I find it? I have a new HP Pavilion netbook with Windows 7. As far as keeping software up to date, I get a pop up notice to update such and such software. Is that what you mean? Thanks so much for your tips and help.

I'm not familiar with Windows 7, but try using the "Start Search" function and start typing something like "defrag....etc." and hopefully it'll find it.

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: January 08, 2012, 12:19:55 AM
Thanks. I ran a search and it tells me it's scheduled to do it Jan 11. When you're running your cleaning programs on your computer, could you do us a favor (if you remember) and remind the rest of us to do the same (on this topic)? I'm not good at remembering these things.

• PS Silver Member
Reply #28 on: January 08, 2012, 12:40:13 AM
Disk Defrag will normally analyze your hard drives first to see if it's truly necessary.  If your computer is new it may not need it yet.

You also have the option of turning off the automatic scheduling and just start it manually when it's time.  I'll probably do mine tomorrow if it needs it, it's been around 3 months.  I'll also pull out the vacuum cleaner and suck the dust out using one of the accessories to use on furniture that has like a brush on it.  The dust that builds up inside is not good for your machine.

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: January 08, 2012, 02:15:59 AM
Thanks for reminding me to vac my keyboard. I'll do that tonight. Thanks for all your tips and help!

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: January 08, 2012, 07:25:55 AM
I hate these veiled threats that my computer throws in my face - "This procedure will definitely cancel your system's files.  are you sure you want to go through with this?"
At this point, no!  I'll just go ahead with my overloaded camel.  I looked in all the programmes, and there's only the old firefox.  Plus this "piriform CCleaner" that threatened to cancel all the system's files.

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: January 08, 2012, 04:14:17 PM
Birba: If you are still seeing the old Firefox, it means you didn't install or didn't completely install the new one because in installing the new one, it would have automatically uninstalled the old one. It looks like you'll have to install the new Firefox again.

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
SIMPLE RECIPE FOR CLEANING YOUR DIRTY DRAINS
Reply #32 on: January 08, 2012, 04:17:00 PM
SIMPLE RECIPE FOR  CLEANING YOUR DIRTY DRAINS

In a jar, combine 2 tbsp cream of tartar, 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 tsp salt. Drop in the drain, chase with boiling water. Repeat as necessary.

Extra tip: Do not toss flat cola into the garbage. Pour it into drains to keep them fresh.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: January 08, 2012, 11:19:20 PM
You remind me of this collegue of mine.  we went to school together.  she's chinese but trained at the Toho in Tokyo.  A formidable pianist.  I went to visit her in California last year, and she's an even more formidable housewife.  She knew EVERY trick of the trade!

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #34 on: January 09, 2012, 12:16:04 AM
You remind me of this collegue of mine.  we went to school together.  she's chinese but trained at the Toho in Tokyo.  A formidable pianist.  I went to visit her in California last year, and she's an even more formidable housewife.  She knew EVERY trick of the trade!

Thank you, Birba. How nice of you to say that. I wish I were a better pianist. I will need a lot of help, hopefully from you. EVERY trick of the trade? What are you implying?   ;D (Just kidding!)

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: January 09, 2012, 12:50:53 PM
This is something I can't explain.  Maybe one of the more scientific minded  here, can.
So, you have a pot of soup you're making, or sauce or whatever, and you don't want it to evaportate while it's cooking.  You know what you do?  Put a pie pan or some shallow dish over the pot instead of the lid and fill it with water.  THAT will evaporate.  Not your soup.
Incredible, but true.

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: January 09, 2012, 03:58:16 PM
That's a great tip, Birba! I'll remember to do that next time I boil something. I wonder why the soup in the pot doesn't evaporate when you do this. Sounds like you're a pretty good cook! Are you using your old Firefox or are you planning to re-install?

This one you probably know from living in Italy and eating a lot of pasta:

Always cook pasta in a large pot so each noodle has room to move and groove. Once they're cooked, pour hot water over them as you're straining them. This keeps your noodles loosey goosey.
When you pour them into a serving bowl, add a few drops of oil and mix. This prevents them from clumping together.

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
MEASURING CUPS
Reply #37 on: January 09, 2012, 04:09:57 PM
Measuring Cups

Before you pour sticky substances into a measuring cup, fill with hot water.
Dump out the hot water, but don't dry cup. Next, add your ingredient (peanut butter, honey, etc.) and watch how easily it comes right out.

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: January 09, 2012, 04:49:34 PM
Since computers seem to be everywhere we could also think of them like household appliances.

Every week or so completely turn off your computer, cable modem, router, cell phone, etc. Leave them off for at least 5 minutes. Then turn them back on.

In our hectic lives we tend to just put these devices on stand-by so we won't need to wait through the re-boot process. You will be surprised how much better they will run.
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: January 09, 2012, 04:54:22 PM
Since computers seem to be everywhere we could also think of them like household appliances.

Every week or so completely turn off your computer, cable modem, router, cell phone, etc. Leave them off for at least 5 minutes. Then turn them back on.

In our hectic lives we tend to just put these devices on stand-by so we won't need to wait through the re-boot process. You will be surprised how much better they will run.

Great tip.  I do this every night when I go to bed in case there's any thunder or lightning.  The cell phone I turn off so I won't be disturbed while I'm sleeping.

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: January 09, 2012, 06:35:28 PM
That's a great tip, Birba! I'll remember to do that next time I boil something. I wonder why the soup in the pot doesn't evaporate when you do this. Sounds like you're a pretty good cook! Are you using your old Firefox or are you planning to re-install?

This one you probably know from living in Italy and eating a lot of pasta:

Always cook pasta in a large pot so each noodle has room to move and groove. Once they're cooked, pour hot water over them as you're straining them. This keeps your noodles loosey goosey.
When you pour them into a serving bowl, add a few drops of oil and mix. This prevents them from clumping together.
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
This is the way to cook pasta.  And this has been endorsed by the top Italian cooks:
When the water begins to boil and you have salted it, pour in the amount of past you want to cook.  When it begins to boil again, turn OFF the flame (or electric grill or whatever) and leave the pasta in the water for the amount of time it says on the box.  Maybe a 1 minute more then it says  Then drain it, put the sauce in the pan you cooked the pasta in, turn on the flame (or the switch) heat up the sauce, put the pasta in, mix it well, turn off the gas (or electricity)  add the parmesan, and buon appetito!

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: January 09, 2012, 07:22:31 PM
Yes, Birba is correct about how to cook the pasta--you don't want to overcook it.  This is making me hungry!

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #42 on: January 10, 2012, 01:14:54 AM

Excellent advice! Could you please remind us all to do that when you do yours? I'm absent minded. Thanks. And yes, of course, computers are part of the household. Very much so!

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #43 on: January 10, 2012, 01:27:43 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
This is the way to cook pasta.  And this has been endorsed by the top Italian cooks:
When the water begins to boil and you have salted it, pour in the amount of past you want to cook.  When it begins to boil again, turn OFF the flame (or electric grill or whatever) and leave the pasta in the water for the amount of time it says on the box.  Maybe a 1 minute more then it says  Then drain it, put the sauce in the pan you cooked the pasta in, turn on the flame (or the switch) heat up the sauce, put the pasta in, mix it well, turn off the gas (or electricity)  add the parmesan, and buon appetito!

Birba: How can you say that a Malaysian-American-Canadian Chinese woman married to a Canadian-American Jewish man does not know how to cook Italian food?!?  ROFL!

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #44 on: January 10, 2012, 04:33:09 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
....amount of time it says on the box....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

mix flour and eggs.
knead
roll
cut
boil for a really short time rarely more than 3-4 mins, depends on your mix.

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #45 on: January 10, 2012, 04:49:21 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

mix flour and eggs.
knead
roll
cut
boil for a really short time rarely more than 3-4 mins, depends on your mix.

ROFL!! This is really becoming hilarious!! I'm doing it the Canadian way, you're doing it the Aussie way and Birba is doing it the Italian way!

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #46 on: January 10, 2012, 05:07:03 AM
Bob's/American way

Nuke water for 20 minutes.
Dump in noodles.
Nuke another 10 minutes.
Eat it even if it's not really done yet.
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."

Offline ajspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #47 on: January 10, 2012, 05:16:55 AM
***Bob's/American way

Nuke water for 20 minutes.
Dump in noodles.
Nuke another 10 minutes.
Eat it even if it's not really done yet.
go to hospital - radiation poisoning.

Offline candlelightpiano

• PS Silver Member
PET HAIR PICK UP
Reply #48 on: January 11, 2012, 01:46:14 AM
I've had pets all my life and I love them with all my heart but their hair gets on to just about everything. So over the years, I've tried all kinds of ways to clean up the hair. I've found that the best pet hair pick up is BISSELL PET HAIR ERASER CORDED VACUUM. It's powerful and picks up pet hair from anywhere, including your clothing and it also picks up other dirt, while you're at it. It's also small, handy and portable. And it costs less than US $30!

Offline fleetfingers

• PS Silver Member
Reply #49 on: January 11, 2012, 02:12:18 AM
I love using white vinegar for cleaning, which leaves things smelling fresh and clean. I recently learned that you can use vinegar in place of liquid fabric softener in the washing machine. Works wonders on bed sheets when one of my littles has a nighttime accident.  :-X
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert