Piano Forum

Topic: Interesting quote about Argerich  (Read 1462 times)

Offline sevencircles

• PS Silver Member
Interesting quote about Argerich
on: April 09, 2012, 08:38:52 AM
https://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_go2043/is_3_57/ai_n29179831/pg_3/

Really interesting to hear what Maisky thinks about Argerich, He has worked a lot with her and propably knows a lot about her.

It is a remarkable statement that she only operates at 25 % of her capacity.

You can only imagine her operating at 100%,  sounds like an almost unlimited  pianist to me ::)

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Re: Interesting quote about Argerich
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 05:13:13 PM
makes sense to me. if you're just a different animal all together, and your modest effort is greater than a multitude's best attempts, why bother with with more?

Offline pianowolfi

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 05:33:42 PM
You can be sure that an artist like her *always* gives 100% if not much more.

She just sets her priorities. Her "stage self" is at 25% but the stage is not everything in her artist life.

That does not mean she gives only 25% when she is on stage.

To me it's absolutely clear that she gives 100%, if not much more, *when* she is on stage.

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 05:54:53 PM
You can be sure that an artist like her *always* gives 100% if not much more.

She just sets her priorities. Her "stage self" is at 25% but the stage is not everything in her artist life.

That does not mean she gives only 25% when she is on stage.

To me it's absolutely clear that she gives 100%, if not much more, *when* she is on stage.
that makes sense. i was just responding to the [out of context] quote

Offline birba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 07:27:47 PM
I think what he's talking about is learning the music.  On stage, she gives 101%.  In fact, she hardly ever plays solo anymore.  It took too much out of her.  But, the process of learning a piece is so easy for her.  There are no boundries.  Like she learned the prokofiev 3rd  in her sleep.  She played the 6th rhapsody for the geneva competition without ever going through it from beginning to end. She really doesn't have to practise.  Technic, I mean.  She practises music interpretation. There's a wonderful biography of her, L'enfant et les sortilèges.  It makes you realize how unique she is in the music world.  She should never be taken as a model or someone to emulate.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert