Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Minute waltz (F. Chopin) - advices...  (Read 13961 times)

Offline drooxy

• PS Silver Member
Minute waltz (F. Chopin) - advices...
on: October 06, 2004, 10:37:34 AM
Hello !

I have started to work on the Minute Waltz from Chopin and I am interested in getting advices, suggestions, warnings, etc. about that piece !

:)

Thanks !
Drooxy
Drooxy

Offline pianodude

• PS Silver Member
Re: Minute waltz (F. Chopin) - advices...
Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 10:24:21 PM
Do you have problem playing that piece?   :o

If you do, please state the problems ;D.

Offline goalevan

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 11:06:47 PM
make sure you master the beginning hands separate and get the rhythms just right before you combine hands. I unfortunately learned this piece virtually all hands together and had a lot of trouble that I see now that I could have avoided by working hands separate.

Offline goansongo

Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 10:23:00 AM
If there's one thing I learned about playing pieces where your fingers are constantly running (like this piece, Flight of the Bumblebee, Fantasie Impromptu etc.) it's that you should always play it slow and gradually move faster.  Just remember that you should only move faster when you have mastered playing it at the last tempo.  It really pays off.  And make sure if you keep messing up on one part, to not overlook it otherwise that part of the song will sound like a blur when you play it later on.  Play the part again and again slowly and gradually make it faster.  You learn pieces much faster this way.  Patience really does pay off.  Have fun!

Offline drooxy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 12:28:49 PM
Thanks Goalevan and GoAnSoNGo !

I believe these are excellent advices ! I do work on the first fast passage (that repeats twice) HS actually, and I also try it HT from time to time to make sure my hands position, fingerings, etc. are still consistent.

I start to be able to speed it up but I have to make sure that I keep the rythm even (if I play too fast, then I have some problems of synchcronization between the two hands)... I am thinking of using the metronome more systematically now in order to solve that problem.

Also, at a high speed, I have troubles with the pedal... it goes too fast ! I have heard a version of that piece that is really very fast and I wonder if the player (G. Cziffra I think...) actually uses the pedal... The pedaling is indicated on the music sheet though...

Also, in that version, it goes so fast that I cannot hear the little trills (Eb-F-Eb) that belong to that first passage...

Here again I wonder if they are actually respected... and if they CAN be at such a high speed ! That would have consequences on the fingering...

That's about it for now !

Thanks again !
Drooxy
Drooxy

Offline jlh

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: October 09, 2004, 06:35:48 AM
I found that with this piece it's useful to play with only a half-pedal (halfway pressed down), that is, in a manner such that the dampers are barely off the strings.  Just keep practicing with once per measure until it becomes natural.  Less pedal is better with this piece, but a little is acceptable.

I'm not familiar with that specific recording, but most people play it so that it takes about 2 mins or so to play, so if it's much faster than that, you may want to look for a different recording if you want practical ideas.
. ROFL : ROFL:LOL:ROFL : ROFL '
                 ___/\___
  L   ______/             \
LOL "”””””””\         [ ] \
  L              \_________)
                 ___I___I___/

Offline drooxy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 12:01:05 AM
Thanks jlh...

I listened to a version from Rubinstein that seems to be a little slower... Also, it gives me some directions about the use of the pedal (that does not seem to be systematic... ?).

Now, I am really in trouble with the measures 10, 12 and 20 for which I keep on changing the fingerings and fail to adopt a definite one...  I think I only can do the trill with 2-3-2 so I try to adapt the fingering consequentely... and that could well be my problem !  :-/

Can somebody help ?

Cheers,
Drooxy
Drooxy

Offline pianodude

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 12:28:37 AM
This from my experience learning this piece:

1. Your hands must be very relax!  if your hands are stiff, you will not be able to play this piece fast as required. You will be tired before the end of the song!

2. Practice right hand and left hand separately WITH metronome.

3. Really pay attention to the first beat for both left and right hand.

4. Combine both hands without using pedal.

5. For the A part, press the pedal only for the first beat. However, other books will give different pedaling. As long as, it sounds clean.

6. Be patient! This is not an easy piece for average people. However, it is very showy...I like this showy thing...
8)

Offline drooxy

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: October 17, 2004, 04:41:30 PM
Thanks, PianoDude, for these advices !  :)

I am still struggling with the RH fingering of the measures 10, 12 and 20... My main problem is to integrate the (very fast) trills in these bars...  :-\ I tried different solutions but still cannot decide the fingering that will be best at high speed...

Thanks !

Drooxy
Drooxy

Offline chopin_girl

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: October 17, 2004, 07:08:33 PM
i just read the piece,never worked on it,but whatever you do-do not,i repeat-DO NOT go too far with the speed!
you'll just ruin it.
even arthur rubinstein's performance of the waltz lasted around 2 minutes,,,,
(not exactly the greatest tip,but still..!)

"As this cough will choke me, I implore you to have my body opened, so that I may not be buried alive." - Chopin's last written words
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert