Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Switching In-Home Students to In-Studio  (Read 1818 times)

Offline odaba

• PS Silver Member
Switching In-Home Students to In-Studio
on: July 25, 2012, 04:09:47 PM
Hi there! 

This is my first post here.  I started teaching piano with a company about 3 years ago who hired me to go to schools and people's houses to teach private lessons.  Since then, I have started my own studio and transferred all of the company's students into my own studio, so I'm teaching 3.5 days a week at people's houses and 2.5 days a week at my home. 

For a while now, I've been crunching numbers and lamenting over the fact that every quarter I have a nightmare of a time scheduling all of my in-home lessons and trying to fit them into the few days a week that I do travel.  Everyone wants the same time frame (3:30-6 p.m.) and is not flexible.  I made the decision that no matter what, I would try to get my travel day count down to 3 days a week, because of financial reasons (gas, travel time, etc.... I can fit in almost double the amount of students when I teach from home).  However, many of my in-home students have recently requested to extend their lesson times or add siblings, and most are not willing to switch to in-studio. 

This is, of course, a blessing of a problem to have - I was barely living off of teaching 10 students a few years ago and now my studio has bloomed into this monster of 30+ students.  However, I'm getting more and more nervous that I'm just going to be stuck yet another year traveling in horrible traffic every day of the week and not making as much money as I can, just because my students like the convenience of me going to their homes. 

SO, the questions are:  How do I convince people to switch to in-studio lessons?  And if I have to drop certain people whose schedules aren't compatible with everyone else in their area (and they refuse to switch to in-studio)... how do I prioritize and choose which students to fit into my travel schedule and which students to boot? 

Has anyone come across this issue before?  I have a lot of in-home students who I've been teaching for 3 years and have come a really long way, and I would really hate to see them get dropped because both me and their parents are stubborn. 

Offline asiantraveller101

• PS Silver Member
Re: Switching In-Home Students to In-Studio
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 11:49:27 PM
I experienced similar problem many years ago. When I just finished grad school, I did quite a bit of "in-home" or what I call "house-call" teaching in an affluent community, which paid me very well. Eventually I started a small studio in my church, which allowed me to teach out from the facility. I did that for a couple of years, till it got to a point where I found it difficult to juggle both. Like you, it got to a point where scheduling became a nightmare, and in-home parents were less flexible to accommodate my tight schedule. In general, I find in-home parents are less flexible; probably the mentality of "I pay you to come to MY house, therefore you go by MY rules". I had to make a choice eventually to transfer all students to my studio. It was a financial gamble that I took, knowing fully well that not all of the house-call students would transfer, and they actually paid more per hour since I charged driving allowance. I was willing to do it because: 1. I got tired of all the travelling, 2. conflict and limitation of time, 3. I prefer to be treated more like a serious piano teacher, than a travelling "service provider", 4. I knew that I had proven my capability as a teacher, and "if I am worth it, they will come to me".

To answer your questions:
1. How do you convince them to switch. Just tell them the truth: that you find it impossible to fit everyone into your schedule; it is better for you to teach everyone out from one location for better time management; and that you are a desirable teacher, and everyone wants to come and learn with you! 
2. If you have to drop, how do you prioritize? Once you make the decision to transfer, then you cannot really control who will be coming to you at your studio. At this juncture, you will just have to see who is willing to come to you and who is not. A cautionary note: it is unwise and unprofessional to pick and boot some students when you say that you are transferring students to your studio, and then you still to do house-calls!

I can only share my experience, which turned out well. For me, I have no regret making that decision. For you, ultimately it is a choice that you have to make. I know of a fellow teacher who has done it for many years, and is still doing house-call teaching and enjoying it. Yes, there will definitely be some financial lost if not all of your house-call students transfer to your studio. But i think you can fill up your time again soon, and have more room for scheduling.
Good luck!

Offline maykapar1

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 02:35:23 AM
Hi odaba!  Welcome to the forum.
Some ideas to consider:  1)  make sure you are charging more for in-house lessons  2)  let parents know of the benefits of in-studio lessons, i.e. cheaper lesson rates, access to computer theory programs and games in waiting area, access to teaching aids which allow you to respond more effectively to teaching issues as soon as they arise, access to lending library, etc. - things which you are unlikely to cart around with you from house to house.  3)  You could simply send an announcement to all parents stating "effective September 1st, I will no longer be offering in-house lessons on ____ day.  For those families affected by this change, I sincerely hope that your student will be able to continue his/her studies at my studio.  Please contact me to make new arrangements."  I would choose the day that either had the least financial impact, or the day that gives you the schedule you like most.  I would not single out individual families.  Make it a blanket announcement to all parents.
I suspect that you may have been overly accomodating while you were establishing yourself.  Now that you can support yourself, it is time to make sure that your schedule doesn't cause you to burn out.  After all, it is your business.  Remember that you are in charge.  You may simply not wish to work 6 days a week anymore.  I have found that when I make a studio policy change, as long as it is reasonable, I am generally pleasantly surprised by the parents' response.  Good luck ! 

Offline asuhayda

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 02:12:22 PM
Hey!

I went from teaching in a music store studio to teaching out of my home...  the store went out of business, so the situation is a little different.  However, I was surprised at the loyalty of my students/parents.  I think, if they like working with you and it provides you the ability to cut overhead (primarily gas money, scheduling conflicts) most people will understand.  Also,  news of a teacher in the neighborhood travels quickly.  So, you might not have too much trouble picking up new local students.. which is golden, because they stick with you for a long time (in my experience anyway).

Best of luck to you!
~ if you want to know what I'm working on.. just ask me!

Offline odaba

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 05:19:09 PM
Thanks for your input, everyone! 

Yes, I am charging $10 more per hour for in-home lessons, which evens things out a lot. 

You guys are right... in-home parents are MUCH less flexible than in-studio.  I have multiple families who always requests one particular timeslot, and won't budge.  And another parent even told me that they wanted to keep their timeslot instead of switching to one that was more convenient for me, because the mom had yoga classes at that time.  And another who said that she wants her kids to be able to hang out with their friends after school, so they couldn't take the slot right after school.  UGH!  Talk about being selfish! 

As for making the big switch to all in-studio lessons... I already sent out an e-mail for Fall saying I'll be teaching 3 days a week doing house calls, and that if someone's schedule is not compatible with everyone else's in their area, I may ask them to come to my house or, worst case scenario, we may need to take a break in the Fall. I would feel unprofessional sending out another e-mail saying "Never mind, I've decided to switch everyone over to in-studio as of September", so I think I'm going to stick with what I have at least until Winter Quarter. It is nice to travel once in a while anyways, instead of being stuck at home 6 days a week!  I also have a few really special kids that I really don't want to let go, and I know their parents probably wouldn't bring them to me, even if that meant no more piano lessons.  At least now I will have another few months to prepare myself (and them) for the big change. 

Thanks again, you were all a great help. 
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert