Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: How to choose the right teacher?  (Read 1416 times)

Offline jsen

• PS Silver Member
How to choose the right teacher?
on: September 24, 2012, 08:34:43 PM
I am 17 years old and I am thinking in applying to a conservatory/college in Europe, and auditions are in a few months to join a school next year (2013/2014).

I know the most important is not the school but the teacher.
Obviously , usually, best teachers are in best schools, and best schools have the best teachers.
So, if I am accepted in a good school, and that school has , for example, 7 piano teachers.How do I know which teacher to choose?? Already read that I should make a previous audition to meet the teacher, etc... But I cant make pre-auditions with 20 or more piano teachers... (not applying for just 1 school)

Thanks ;)

Offline david_h

• PS Silver Member
Re: How to choose the right teacher?
Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 06:17:43 PM
Try to look at their experience both as teachers and performers, and see how well their students have done (students reference their teachers in their own resumes - Google will give relevant results).  Second, look at the repertoire they are known for.  If your artistic preference is Baroque music, a Schumann scholar may not be your best fit.
  Do remember however that often times you will not actually be making the choice - some schools make the choice for you for logistical reasons.  However by doing proactive research on teachers as described above, and then reaching out to selected teachers, you can have more control over this very important part of your musical training.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert