Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Would you recommend this book?  (Read 1243 times)

Offline gleeok

• PS Silver Member
Would you recommend this book?
on: December 07, 2012, 11:46:21 PM
I've heard that opinions on piano techniques are wide, and sometimes even clash with each other, so... I've been skeptic about ordering any book on piano techniques or anything that touches that subject too strongly, because I think there is no such thing like " the best technique" out there. But I saw this might contain some good information either way, would you recommend it? How useful will it be for a beginner and practically inexperienced player in therms of formal learning?

https://www.amazon.com/Keyboard-Interpretation-14th-19th-Century/dp/0193184192

"It is a clear, detailed, and practical guide to authenticity in performance which all keyboard players will find indispensable"

Thats why I'm asking, keyword; "guide".

Thank you! And thanks for those who recommended Thomas Mark's "What every pianist needs to know about the body", I took great advices from it and I'm still enjoying it. And it seems the pain I used to feel after very long and obsessive sessions of playing is like almost, completely gone, no matter how long I play in a single day!

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Would you recommend this book?
Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 04:33:11 AM
Haven't read the book, but from the description it appears to discuss period performance practices from the 14th to 19th centuries.  If you have an interest in playing music of this period, it would be good to read.

For the beginner, it probably isn't the best "starter" book to go by.  One would more likely better appreciate the knowledge of period performance if one already has some knowledge of modern piano technique.  

On the broader topic of piano technique, I would recommend at the very least to be reading on not just one, but several different perspectives of the subject.  Don't take any single tome as the bible, but decide for yourself what works.  
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: Would you recommend this book?
Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 05:36:02 AM
Agree with quantum. I would also add that no book is a substitute to listening to as many performances as you can. YouTube or equivalent is you friend.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert