Piano Forum

Poll

So...what's the most difficult?

Tchaikovsky 1
Rachmaninov 3
Brahms 2
Prokofiev 2
Other (please specify below)

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Hardest piano concerto ever written?  (Read 25081 times)

Offline the89thkey

Hardest piano concerto ever written?
on: December 18, 2012, 04:39:22 AM
If you have no experience whatsoever please do not vote...;)
I listed a few popular options to choose from. I play all of these except the Tchaikovsky, which I'm learning.

Offline adari

• PS Silver Member
Re: Hardest piano concerto ever written?
Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 07:05:11 AM
OK, it's not technically a piano concerto, per se, but I'm going with Alkan's Concerto for Solo Piano, Op.39/8-10. :P

Skip to 9:30 or 16:41 for mind-destruction. :o
"O Machine!" she murmured, and caressed her Book, and was comforted.
 - E.M. Forster

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 08:02:22 AM
Schytte
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline 49410enrique

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 12:39:15 PM
alexander plinkovsky no 2 (3rd revision)

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 02:42:26 PM
alexander plinkovsky no 2 (3rd revision)
I'm going to learn that on my x-mas break, am I insane??!!

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 07:35:33 PM
I'm going to learn that on my x-mas break, am I insane??!!

Yes, you must be insane as the composer reliably advises me that it has not yet been written.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline outin

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 08:04:21 PM
Yes, you must be insane as the composer reliably advises me that it has not yet been written.

That's will just make it more interesting to learn! Especially since the world is coming to an end. I think I'd like it to happen while I am playing the hardest concerto ever not written!

Offline the89thkey

Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 10:45:17 PM
That's will just make it more interesting to learn! Especially since the world is coming to an end. I think I'd like it to happen while I am playing the hardest concerto ever not written!
I'm going to play Tchaikovsky 1 when the world ends...if I've learned it :P

Offline celegorma

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 08:39:52 AM
Beethoven 4 and 5, Chopin 1 and 2, are all harder than average concertos
Liszt 1 is just as hard as the ones listed.
Schoenburg and Bartok 2 are definitely harder than the ones listed.

Offline blazekenny

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 10:55:55 AM
I say Schumann. These dialogues between piano and orchestra are just immense.
Other concertos, like Rach 3 and Brahms 2, are popular choices for the "hardest" concerto. Yet they may still be easier for a technically accomplished pianist than the Schumann.

Offline zezhyrule

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 11:08:21 AM
Bartok 2

This, this!

I must admit, I have never played or even attempted to play this piece (much less any other concerti), so I can't speak from my own experience. But! I hear it's super difficult
Currently learning -

- Bach: P&F in F Minor (WTC 2)
- Chopin: Etude, Op. 25, No. 5
- Beethoven: Sonata, Op. 31, No. 3
- Scriabin: Two Poems, Op. 32
- Debussy: Prelude Bk II No. 3

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 01:01:40 AM
come on guys, we all know it's probably from Sorajbi or some other atonal 21st century composer.
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Offline pbryld

• PS Silver Member
Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 04:43:06 PM
Schytte

I've seen his name mentioned a few times here now.

Are people seriously referring to the Danish Ludvig Schytte?
General info:
Started playing music in the summer of 2010
Plays on a Bechstein B
Lives in Denmark

Offline austinarg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 06:50:58 PM
What about Busoni?
“Talking about music is like dancing about architecture.” - Thelonious Monk

Offline the89thkey

Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 07:11:46 PM
Next time I won't give the "other" option...

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 08:21:23 PM
Are people seriously referring to the Danish Ludvig Schytte?

Dunno about other people, but I am.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline kitty on the keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #16 on: December 30, 2012, 11:35:35 PM
Any Mozart concerto.

Kitty on the Keys
Kitty on the Keys
James Lee

Offline the89thkey

Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 04:34:07 AM
Any Mozart concerto.

Kitty on the Keys
You're kidding me right? Let's see now...whose concertos are harder than Mozart? I'll just give you 10 for now because the full list would really take a while to write out.
Beethoven
Liszt
Chopin
Rachmaninov
Bach
Ravel
Mendelssohn
Bartok
Tchaikovsky
Grieg
Schumann

Yeah, that was more than 10 I think. People can add as many as they want to this list...they can't really go wrong...

Offline p2u_

• PS Silver Member
Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 04:58:44 AM
Any Mozart concerto.

Kitty on the Keys

You're kidding me right?

I don't think so. While easy to learn, Mozart's concertos are indeed the most difficult to play the right way, because they have to be played virtually perfectly to sound great; spoil even a minor detail and the house of cards collapses, leaving you standing naked before the audience...

Paul
Account discontinued.
No more pearls before swine...

Offline black_keys

• PS Silver Member
Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 10:30:33 AM
BUSONI piano concerto!!!!

Offline the89thkey

Reply #20 on: January 09, 2013, 12:55:18 AM
I don't think so. While easy to learn, Mozart's concertos are indeed the most difficult to play the right way, because they have to be played virtually perfectly to sound great; spoil even a minor detail and the house of cards collapses, leaving you standing naked before the audience...

Paul
And Rachmaninov, Schumann, Beethoven, Prokofiev, and all the others you can just bang through and miss whatever notes and it'll still be great? That hardly makes sense to me...

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #21 on: January 09, 2013, 01:05:03 AM
And Rachmaninov, Schumann, Beethoven, Prokofiev, and all the others you can just bang through and miss whatever notes and it'll still be great? That hardly makes sense to me...

Yet some composers manage to be more forgiving than others of slight lapses.  Not "banging through and missing notes" forgiving, but "if I misvoice this chord slightly or get the balance on this crescendo slightly wrong it will still be pretty OK" forgiving. Not perfect, but not disproportionately horrible either.

Mozart isn't like that. Surprisingly, Alkan isn't either. The effect of any lapse is magnified - even a slight one sounds far worse than the magnitude of the lapse would suggest.
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline the89thkey

Reply #22 on: January 09, 2013, 01:14:48 AM
Yet some composers manage to be more forgiving than others of slight lapses.  Not "banging through and missing notes" forgiving, but "if I misvoice this chord slightly or get the balance on this crescendo slightly wrong it will still be pretty OK" forgiving. Not perfect, but not disproportionately horrible either.

Mozart isn't like that. Surprisingly, Alkan isn't either. The effect of any lapse is magnified - even a slight one sounds far worse than the magnitude of the lapse would suggest.
I see what you're saying. Yes, it's true that accuracy takes a premium when playing Mozart. But that definitely doesn't make it technically or musically harder than Rachmaninov or Scriabin, to give a few examples. The score is just easier. 

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 01:24:25 AM
I see what you're saying. Yes, it's true that accuracy takes a premium when playing Mozart. But that definitely doesn't make it technically or musically harder than Rachmaninov or Scriabin, to give a few examples. The score is just easier. 

The score certainly appears easier.  But there is more to technique than just getting the notes out. And if Mozart was as easier as you suggest, the standard or performance of Mozart at the big competitions would be rather less apalling than it generally is, given the standard of performance of the composers you mention (and the others you allude to).
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline the89thkey

Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 01:29:31 AM
The score certainly appears easier.  But there is more to technique than just getting the notes out. And if Mozart was as easier as you suggest, the standard or performance of Mozart at the big competitions would be rather less apalling than it generally is, given the standard of performance of the composers you mention (and the others you allude to).
The standard of performance of the composers I mention/allude to is pretty horrific, I'd have to say. However, I think the main reason that juniors and amateurs butcher Mozart so badly is more a misunderstanding of the score than lack of mastery of the required technique, while with Rachmaninov technical failings are more common, but this doesn't mean musical ones have less of an importance.

Offline brendan765

• PS Silver Member
Reply #25 on: January 09, 2013, 04:10:56 AM
I'll make some concertos sometime in the next few years, the way I write my music...It will be tecnically hard as hell to play (espicially musically), but the hardest...no Liszt wrote much harder in his later years...perhaps I will be able to express perfect harmonies and melodies as with wider chords and arpegios for a more beutiful, whole hearted experience...ahh I love composing.
There is so much still to be created. 88 keys, you do the math. ∞

Offline canada100

Reply #26 on: February 18, 2014, 02:17:40 AM
All four of these concerti are very difficult in their own ways.

The Tchaikovsky and Rachmaninoff require a world-class top level technique to pull off successfully. These are some of the best-written concerti ever! They are the pieces people play in the finals of important competitions such as the Van Cliburn or the Tchaikovsky. In fact, the Tchaikovsky Competition REQUIRES the Tchaikovsky 1 in the finals, in addition to a concerto of the contestant's choice. Rach 3 is also immensely difficult.

Brahms concerti are extremely long and difficult, technically and musically. The Prokofiev 2 is also extremely difficult, and is also a frequently heard concerto in the major competitions.

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #27 on: May 28, 2014, 10:29:19 PM
Most people you ask would say Rach 3. However, knowing Sorabji, I'm sure he made a piano concerto at one point, and he would have probably made it unspeakably difficult as he is so notorious for doing.
Per novitatem, artium est renascatur.

Finished with making music for quite a long time.

Offline flashyfingers

Reply #28 on: May 29, 2014, 05:22:16 AM
Bartok?
I'm hungry

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #29 on: May 29, 2014, 05:51:12 PM
However, knowing Sorabji, I'm sure he made a piano concerto at one point, and he would have probably made it unspeakably difficult as he is so notorious for doing.

I think there are 8 numbered concerti plus 3 other works for piano & orchestra. The Symphonic variations required no less than 544 pages of manuscript.

I expect Sorabji's stationers retired as millionaires.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline kakeithewolf

• PS Silver Member
Reply #30 on: May 29, 2014, 06:04:09 PM
I think there are 8 numbered concerti plus 3 other works for piano & orchestra. The Symphonic variations required no less than 544 pages of manuscript.

Thal

Good chance one of those has a decent claim to being the most difficult piano concerto.
Per novitatem, artium est renascatur.

Finished with making music for quite a long time.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #31 on: May 29, 2014, 06:18:37 PM
Good chance one of those has a decent claim to being the most difficult piano concerto.

No doubt there exists some worthless modern bollocks that would be in contention.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #32 on: June 11, 2014, 01:53:05 PM
come on guys, we all know it's probably from Sorajbi or some other atonal 21st century composer.
I've never heard of Sorajbi but, if you mean Sorabji, I can only say that it would be very difficult for a tonal composer such as he was to merit the description "some other atonal 21st century composer", especially as he made the careless mistake of dying in 1988...

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline ahinton

• PS Silver Member
Reply #33 on: June 11, 2014, 02:00:11 PM
All true, except that the Symphonic Variations in its version for piano and orchestra occupies 540, not 544, pages of ms. (the other 4 pages being title, &c.); this score now also exists in a fully typeset edition whose music occupies 519 pages and it became available from us just a few months ago. Then there's also the composer's first orchestral symphony completed in 1922 which has a very important part for an almost never silent piano.

His archivist hasn't.

Best,

Alistair
Alistair Hinton
Curator / Director
The Sorabji Archive

Offline khantallis123

Reply #34 on: July 27, 2014, 04:51:21 AM
Well its not considered usually but Chopin Variations Op.2

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #35 on: July 27, 2014, 03:42:25 PM
It is usually not considered as a hard piano concerto because it is not actually a piano concerto ;D.

Thal
Curator/Director

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #36 on: July 28, 2014, 02:55:44 AM
"Most difficult" questions are mindless and useless when it comes to art. Do we appreciate a painted picture then wonder which one was more difficult to paint? It's simply missing the point u less you want to talk about stupid things.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline muntjack

• PS Silver Member
Reply #37 on: July 28, 2014, 03:05:39 AM
I mostly agree with your sentiment, but we're not trying to create our own interpretations of those paintings.  While difficulty is incredibly subjective, these discussions could theoretically help a pianist decide what pieces are in reach.

Offline coda_colossale

• PS Silver Member
Reply #38 on: July 28, 2014, 07:59:53 PM
I mostly agree with your sentiment, but we're not trying to create our own interpretations of those paintings.  While difficulty is incredibly subjective, these discussions could theoretically help a pianist decide what pieces are in reach.

People considering playing the aforementioned concerti would hardly need our humble opinions, no? Such thrash in this forum are caused by the childish fascination of less mature pianists with virtuosity. I'm referring solely to the "most difficult blah blah" sh*t, and not people asking for comparisons, which may be as you have said, helpful. But I definitely don't agree with the idea that performing a piece of music is by any means similar to painting. There is some athletic point in music after all.

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Reply #39 on: July 29, 2014, 03:25:09 AM
You appreciate art, you dont consider its difficulty, if you do you are missing the point. Oh i love lollies, i wonder if the people that manufacture the wrappers use the most difficult printing technology? Oh i love tennis, i wonder if the racket manufacturers car parks were made with the best asphault?
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #40 on: July 29, 2014, 06:47:02 AM
haha, that is funny ;D
Curator/Director

Offline coda_colossale

• PS Silver Member
Reply #41 on: July 29, 2014, 08:39:34 PM
Well, I would care if I was a lolly wrapper producer  ;D
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert