Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: buying a piano(help)  (Read 2245 times)

Offline jamescs15

• PS Silver Member
buying a piano(help)
on: February 04, 2013, 12:08:24 PM
Hi!
I am going to start learning piano so I need to buy one.
First of all, I have to say that I am not seeing myself as a professional piannist. I just like piano music and I'm doing it as a hobby.
As far as the money... My budget is from 200 to 400 dollars(maybe a little more).
I think digital and stage dianos are good ideas but I don't know much about them, so I need your help.
Consider that I just want to play music and I don't really mind if the piano is not so good. That's why I'm not going to spend so much money ( well I'm poor so there's another reason  :P ).
Please help me.
Thanks in advance!

Offline jamescs15

• PS Silver Member
Re: buying a piano(help)
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 12:10:18 PM
piano*

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 02:54:23 PM
Some questions:

First, where are you?  Since this is a global forum, and answer or set of comments which might be appropriate in, say the central United States isn't going to be much help if you are in, say, Lithuania.  Or Japan.  Or...

Second, how important is portability?  You mention stage or digital pianos, which suggests that perhaps portability is important.  However, in the price range you mention digital keyboards are just that, and don't have either the feel or flexibility of a piano.  Unfortunately, to get anything approaching the action and feel of a piano, you would need to go considerably higher in price.

However... in may areas of the world it is quite possible to pick up a perfectly good used upright -- or even small grand -- real piano, which might need tuning and a little sprucing up -- for the price range you mention, or even less (sometimes just the cost of moving it).  This is very much worth looking into.  Try Craigslist or eBay in parts of the world where those function.
Ian

Offline spartacus8098

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 07:51:44 PM
Hi, Hoping someone can help me, I have been offered a upright which says Remington London but can't find anything about this make,  I looked up Remington and there Pianos have scrolled writing but this one doesn't.  Can anyone help

Offline ranniks

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 10:56:50 AM
I aggree with Ian. Get a cheap upright/grand. I got mine for 400 euros, and I love it to this day.

Offline sb92

Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 11:02:28 AM
There are at least 2 Remington London pianos in the world ;) !!!

Offline sb92

Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 11:04:29 AM
Hi, Hoping someone can help me, I have been offered a upright which says Remington London but can't find anything about this make,  I looked up Remington and there Pianos have scrolled writing but this one doesn't.  Can anyone help

There are at least 2 Remington London pianos in the world  ;)!!!
I have one and couldn't find any other information about it than you did 3 years ago. Has anyone gave you more information since then?
(Sorry for my english, it's not my mother tongue )
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert