Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Ticket  (Read 1378 times)

Offline cabbynum

• PS Silver Member
Ticket
on: June 19, 2013, 05:03:47 AM
So just now I got home and I got pulled over for my first time. It's 12:00 am here right now, I was doing 60mph in a 45mph zone. I honestly didn't notice I was going so fast until after the cop had already clocked me. I was very polite and he took my license, came back and just told me not to speed and to be careful out there on the roads this late at night, I apologized profusely. He didn't say anything about a ticket or anything like that. He just said to be careful. Does that mean I got off easy?
Just here to lurk and cringe at my old posts now.

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Re: Ticket
Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 05:21:14 PM
Sounds like you got off easy. Cops in England tend to be a lot harder with younger drivers, as statistically, they have/cause more accidents.

Being polite no doubt helped you and so did the time as well. If roads are clear, speeding is not deemed as dangerous.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 07:36:18 PM
Been there, done that... as Thal says, you got off sort of easy -- but the real secret to "getting off easy" is that you were polite and calm.  In many places, the constabulary really doesn't want to sock you with a fine (there are exceptions... some small towns in the southern USA or upstate New York get half their income that way!) -- they just want to remind you to stay safe.

I could tell you a funny story about getting out of a reckless driving ticket more or less that way -- but it would take too long.
Ian

Offline oxy60

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 12:51:45 AM
Be careful, though when driving in Spain. The traffic enforcement has been given over to the Guardia Civil. You will remember them for their tactics during the civil war and you will remember your encounter for a long time.

Even though your fellow drivers are flying by you, ignoring the speed limit signs, don't do the same.
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."  John Muir  (We all need to get out more.)

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 01:11:25 PM
Be careful, though when driving in Spain. The traffic enforcement has been given over to the Guardia Civil. You will remember them for their tactics during the civil war and you will remember your encounter for a long time.

Even though your fellow drivers are flying by you, ignoring the speed limit signs, don't do the same.

Yeah -- it does vary from place to place.  Same thing is true about speeding in Quebec, Canada.  The locals drive like maniacs -- but the police will pull you over every time, if you have out of Province (never mind US) plates.
Ian
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert