Piano Forum

Poll

Is it possible to tune guitars using a piano?

Yes
2 (50%)
No
1 (25%)
I dont Know
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Tuning of Guitars  (Read 1555 times)

Offline amy_1504

• PS Silver Member
Tuning of Guitars
on: June 25, 2013, 01:51:33 AM
Hey Guys, I have started guitar and I'm just wondering if you can tune your guitar to a piano? Is it possible. Please Help.

Offline sirpazhan

• PS Silver Member
Re: Tuning of Guitars
Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 04:03:38 AM
Yes,, Ive done it countless times,, assuming your piano is in tune of course. 
\\\\\\\"I like these calm little moments before the storm. It reminds me of Beethoven\\\\\\\"

Offline the_fervid_pig

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 10:06:18 AM
Yes, middle C on a piano corresponds to the C played on the 2nd string (B) 1st fret on a guitar, as a guitar is tuned an octave lower than concert.
Currently learning:
Mendelssohn 19/6           Chopin 28/4
Satie Je Te Veux            Rach C#m
Poulenc Bal Fantome       Chopin 28/20
Schubert Serenade         Chopin 15/3
Chopin 10/9

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 02:18:05 PM
If you are going to play along with a piano, it is highly advisable to tune to it.

I tune guitars and ukuleles to pianos frequently.  It works fine. 

An electronic tuner (like the Korg CA-30) is dirt cheap and easy to use, and easier to put in your pocket than a piano, though. 

In the old days we used tuning forks.  I still have one somewhere.  That takes a bit more skill though.
Tim

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 11:23:50 AM
There's more than one way to tune a guitar to a piano. If you tune one of the E strings to the E on the piano and then proceed to tune the guitar using harmonics (3rd overtone on the lower string to the 2nd overtone on the next higher string) then the remainder of the strings will be slightly off with respect to the (presumably equally tempered) piano. On the other hand, if you tune each guitar string individually to the corresponding piano key, you'll match the piano better, but the guitar may sound off to you, if you are very sensitive to such small changes.

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 11:59:49 AM
Having experimented with a number of ways to tune guitars (my church ran a beginner guitar class for a while, and I tuned the group's guitars else I couldn't stand it) I do NOT recommend harmonics. 

You are correct that you don't end up equal temperament, but you also don't end up anything else really usable either. 

Harmonics tuning is fun and probably worth experimenting with, as part of learning to tune is learning to listen harder.  But as you learn to hear better you'll also be more unhappy with the results.
Tim

Offline justharmony

• PS Silver Member
Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 05:28:34 AM
Yeah... I thought guitars were fretted with the intention of equal temperament (if you have a good enough guitar - if not, good luck trying to be consistently in tune with any temperament).  Tuning with harmonics would totally mess you up in terms of having the guitar in tune with itself or a piano.  Yes?

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert