Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Fallen HARD for a too-big, too-expensive, too PERFECT Shigeru!  (Read 7807 times)

Offline justharmony

• PS Silver Member
This was most certainly NOT in the plan, but I have fallen HARD - and I mean hard - for a 6' 10" Shigeru Kawai.  As in, I literally cried with joy when I played it.  The heavens and angels and everything else all converged when I touched that beautiful instrument.  I have no words.  

It is most certainly NOT rational - well outside my budget, over my intended size (and certainly challenges the room I would have for it - see my previous post about acoustics and new piano).  Nearly everyone thinks I am completely nuts (except for my former piano teacher and my husband).  Even I think I'm a bit nuts.  But I'm finding it hard to care, quite frankly.

Literally.  No words.  Just joy and awe and tears. Seriously.  

So, I guess I'm not sure if I'm looking for you all to talk me out of it, or into it. Either way, please give me your thoughts.  Convince me that I simply don't have the room (not to mention the money) to appropriately respect this incredible instrument, or, alternatively, that maybe sometimes dreams can come true in some way shape or form (And yes, I tried the smaller Shigeru - much  closer to rationality, and it was lovely, but doesn't compare to the spiritual sort of experience i had playing the other instrument).  

I won't base a decision on only one time playing, but wow I'm having a hard time with this.  What do you do when you find that your deepest desires and dreams are taunting/inviting/enticing you to join them just a whisper's breadth from where you stand???

Please someone, help me out here....

Hopelessly in love with my dream instrument...  

Offline hfmadopter

• PS Silver Member
When you feel that way about a piano it's tough to get interested in another one. It will fit in the room but I don't know what to say about the financial aspect of the decision. Generally if you can't afford something then it has to wait or find the finances. It would be a one time purchase though, no need to look further when you find a piano you feel that strongly about. You and the hubby know what's best there.

Or, it can be your goal piano that you can purchase when finances are better. Meanwhile purchase the second best choice that is within reach, what ever that piano may be.

I know that I should never walk into a Steinway showroom, FWIW !
Depressing the pedal on an out of tune acoustic piano and playing does not result in tonal color control or add interest, it's called obnoxious.

Offline withindale

• PS Silver Member
One way to redemption is to go and play every great piano you can find, old and new, and let them talk you out of it, or not, as the case maybe.

A 1936 Bluthner baby grand did that for me in London a few months ago. I eventually succumbed to an older Ibach on a blind date but, oh, the tone of that Bluthner.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert