Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: contemporary music  (Read 1643 times)

Offline michelshestak

• PS Silver Member
contemporary music
on: November 05, 2004, 04:30:18 PM
Does anyone know of any music schools (graduate level) that are especially noted for contemporary music studies? Any cities that are centers for contemporary classical music?

Offline legend

• PS Silver Member
Re: contemporary music
Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 01:28:31 PM
most reputable(world famous) musical institutes do a good course

where are you?

Offline michelshestak

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 05:35:11 PM
I am in Prague right now, but will be finishing my B.M. back in Wisconsin. Where are these institutes you are speaking of?

Offline sharon_f

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 10:53:19 PM
Most major cities in the United States have very active contemporary music scenes, New York, Atlanta, San Francisco to name a few. Are you looking at performance, composition or education? For performance or composition you might want to look at the specific faculty. For instance, Ursula Opoens is a great champion of contemporary music. I believe she is on the faculty of Northwestern.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.
Albert Schweitzer

Offline Hmoll

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 11:00:34 PM
It's more the teachers at the schools who specialize in contemporary music, not the schools themselves, for example David Burge at Eastman, Kalish at Stony Brook, etc.
"I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. I have your review before me. In a moment it will be behind me!" -- Max Reger
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert