Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Mendelssohn's SWW "Lost Illusions" op.67 no.2  (Read 6904 times)

Offline hodi

• PS Silver Member
Mendelssohn's SWW "Lost Illusions" op.67 no.2
on: November 10, 2004, 04:51:58 PM
any tips for this one?
it is quite tricky for me because of the very light touch and the legato and stacto in the right hand.. taking me a lot of time to perfect the first page, and it's 3 pages :(

Offline presto agitato

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mendelssohn's SWW "Lost Illusions" op.67 no.2
Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 08:05:39 PM
Sorry Im afraid i cant give you any tip, the only thing i can teel you i that if you want to hear a perfect recording of this piece, try to get the disc of Ilse von Alpenheim.
The masterpiece tell the performer what to do, and not the performer telling the piece what it should be like, or the cocomposer what he ought to have composed.

--Alfred Brendel--

Offline bernhard

• PS Silver Member
Re: Mendelssohn's SWW "Lost Illusions" op.67 no.2
Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 12:29:10 PM

I suggest you break down this piece in three parts (rewrite the score in 3 parts): the RH legato melody, the RH staccato accompaniment and the LH staccato. Then practise each part separately. You do not need to learn each complete part (the whole piece): you can do this for phrase length passages.

Once you can do a phrase with each separate voice, join them like so:

1.   RH legato melody + LH staccato.
2.   RH legato melody + RH staccato
3.   Phrase as originally written (that is, all voices together).

When you play the complete score, do not concern yourself too much on playing one note staccato and another legato. Instead, concentrate on the sound you are aiming at. If you do that, and if you have done the above preliminary work thoroughly, you will find out that you are doing exactly what needs to be done.

The technique to achieve it, will probably be mastered after the first few bars (the structure of this piece is very repetitive). After that the main problem will simply be one of memory and familiarisation.

And presto is right, listen to Ilse von Alpenheim (Another two excellent versions you may want to check are Annie D’Arco and Murray Perahia)

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Bernhard.
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. (Hunter Thompson)

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert