Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: I finally understand my teacher!  (Read 2250 times)

Offline bernadette60614

• PS Silver Member
I finally understand my teacher!
on: November 15, 2013, 02:13:51 AM
I was a constant presence sometime ago complaining about my teacher, but after a year, I see the improvement in my playing.

And, my interest has deepened.

I think I'd like to earn a degree in piano performance when I retire (not with an intention of "using" it).

What is the best way to achieve this objective?  (I have a couple of degrees already in unrelated areas.)

Thanks!

Offline j_menz

• PS Silver Member
Re: I finally understand my teacher!
Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 02:49:19 AM
All good news!  :D

As far as the degree is concerned, if you really do want a piece of paper, that may actually be the hardest to get a good one of. The value of the degree is pretty much a factor of the value of the school.  And, more importantly, any reasonable school has more applicants than positions. I'm not sure if they look favourably on older entrants, though that may vary, or those who aren't planning on "using it".

Have you considered, as an alternative, the higher performance awards of the various accrediting organisations (Trinity, RCM, ABRSM etc etc)?
"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant

Offline ted

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 08:12:15 AM
It seems to be increasingly common for older people to study in retirement here. Universities are getting so money oriented that as long as the student can pay for everything and doesn't want loans or scholarships I don't think they care about age, especially in the arts. Highly professional courses like medicine, dentistry and so on maybe not, but money is mostly what seems to decide everything these days. If you can play well enough to satisfy their entry criteria I can't see their refusing your money.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Offline bernadette60614

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 04:48:12 AM
Thank you!  I will certainly take a look at credentialing organizations.

My goal isn't a degree per se, but the systematic study and competency (mastery I think may be beyond me) of the piano.

Any other input would be much appreciated!

Offline chopin2015

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 04:54:27 AM
what about a school of music, like a conservatory?
"Beethoven wrote in three flats a lot. That's because he moved twice."

Offline keypeg

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 05:35:53 PM
Your title says " I finally understand my teacher!" but your post is about further studies.  I am interested - what is it that you finally understand?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert