Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Which piano teaching qualification?  (Read 2953 times)

Offline colour

• PS Silver Member
Which piano teaching qualification?
on: December 06, 2013, 12:23:46 PM
HI,

I've seen many posts regarding piano performance diplomas and repretoire but can't seem to find much about teaching diplomas or licentiate.

After a pause of 25 years without a piano I went back to piano this year and got my Grade 8 ABSRM.

I want to teach piano, primarily from my home but am unclear which professional qualification I should take.

I note that for ABSRM I would need Grade 6 theory (I only have Grade 5, but am happy enough :oto study and take the Grade 6 theory - could do with refreshment and advancement).

What I seem to be missing is any performance element of the Trinity or ABSRM diplomas.

Am I reading the syllabus incorrectly - it seems that for ATCL there is a performance diploma with a beautifully extensive repetoire list and there is the teaching instrumental/vocal ATCL which contains no performance at all -just exerpts from up to Grade 6 pieces which should be able to teach.

I'm looking for
a) the quickest entry to teaching
b) also to progress my own playing, knowledge of music and interpretation
c) a good starting knowledge of teaching techniques and a confidence to do well by my prospective students

I would be open to doing a series of exams/seeking a series of qualifications. But where to start to enable me to start teaching soon.
e.g. the ATCL requires teaching experience, so I should start teaching as part of the learning, but then what about my own playing???

Of course, the irony is that I taught piano for a number of years when I was a student myself and my pupils progressed nicely. But now I want to set up as a piano teacher within a community and be able to do so with authority (but quickly!)

Would love some advice

Offline colour

• PS Silver Member
Re: Which piano teaching qualification?
Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 11:48:53 AM
anyone??

Also, live in Ireland, so RIAM also an option for me. Does anyone have any experience of the teaching/performance diploma from the RIAM?

Offline tillyfloss

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 07:40:21 PM
Hi,

I think you'll get more responses on a UK site. The ABRSM has its own forum and I'm sure you'll get lots of thoughtful and insightful advice there.

Offline Bob

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 09:56:26 PM
Just start teaching.  You'll have to build a studio sometime, even with a degree.

A lot of people don't care much about the degree.  They do care about what kind of students you're creating, how they perform and enjoy lessons, and what your playing level is.  If you play well and have happy students who perform halfway decently, a lot of people will be ok with that.

And while you're getting a degree, actual teaching experience will be a huge plus, for you and even an advantage to get you accepted somewhere -- "I want to be a teacher." vs. "I'm already a teacher.  I want to be a better teacher."  It's a safer bet for the school if they accept someone who's already teaching (assuming they're looking for teachers and not performers).
Favorite new teacher quote -- "You found the only possible wrong answer."
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert