Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Scriabin 12 Etudes op.8 : Information needed  (Read 1526 times)

Offline jgendron

Scriabin 12 Etudes op.8 : Information needed
on: April 29, 2014, 06:39:12 PM
Hi, fellow pianists.
I have this little fantasy of playing and recording the twelve op.8 Scriabin's Etudes. I already have a few that would be ready. I don't want to share my recording, I only want to do it for myself yet and be able to play the whole set in concert some time, if ever possible. I know Scriabin's etudes are hard, but I think I'll be able to manage quite well. What I'm looking for is information about the twelve etudes.

I've been searching for a long time, and I haven't found anything that interesting yet. Yes, I've done a Google search and looked at a few books and listened to a lot of recordings, read a lot about the pieces in different editions, but I was wondering if you guys knew of any vital information about those etudes. There might be interesting facts to know about them. I've already read "An analysis of textures in selected piano etudes of Chopin and Scriabin" and it was very helpful, but I'm just curious : Do you guys have any information to share about them ? Books you would recommend ? Even a documentary or a legendary recording ?

Thanks for you help,
J.Gendron.

Offline pianoguy711

Re: Scriabin 12 Etudes op.8 : Information needed
Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 06:47:58 AM
Another Scriabin fan.  I'm working on Op8 no 5 now and some of his preludes from op11.  Kind of funny but I also came across and read "An analysis of textures in selected piano etudes of Chopin and Scriabin".  There are not too many well produced documentaries on him sadly, unlike Chopin, Mozart, and Tchaikovsky.  There is one that is supposed to be good called "Scriabin: Toward the Light" but I can't find it online.  (If you do let me know!).

As for legendary recordings you should check out Sofronitsky https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-ehSS3bhB0

Playing all 12 etudes is going to be rough! no 12 alone is a monster.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 12:47:50 AM
Agreed that Sofonitsky is the definitive Scriabin interpreter. My only other vote for a more modern performer would be Volodos.

As for the info OP requests, probably has not gotten many responses as it's a big vague, not sure what you're asking for.

I had this thing laying around, been meaning to post it to my scribd account, I'll probably get around to it sometime, in the meantime, here ya go, not sure if what you're asking for, but it's an interesting little read. 8)

Offline jgendron

Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 06:11:47 PM
Thank you so much for the replies.
Thanks for recommending Sofronitsky, pianoguy711. I'll let you know if I ever find "Scriabin : Toward the light". I'm lucky enough to have worked on op.8 no.12 already ;) It's not an easy piece, that's true hehe. But yet so beautiful. I think 8/5 is one of my favourite, if not my favourite so far. Beautiful and still challenging enough to keep me interested in practicing it.

Visitor, what you shared is exactly what I'm looking for ; any information that could be of use to understand Scriabin's Etudes deeply before recording them.

Thanks again.
I'll try to share with you a few excerpts when I'll be done recording some of the etudes.
JGendron.

Offline pytheamateur

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 10:18:35 PM
Read this book:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/La-musique-piano-Guy-Sacre/dp/2221085663/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1400278558&sr=8-3&keywords=guy+sacre+piano

Biography of Scriabin, pp2616-2618.
12 Etudes op.8, pp2634-2637.

It is better than Maurice Hinson's Guide to the Pianist's Repertoire.
Beethoven - Sonata in C sharp minor, Op 27 No 12
Chopin - Fantasie Impromptu, Nocturn in C sharp minor, Op post
Brahms - Op 118, Nos 2 & 3

Offline coherence

Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 01:09:13 AM
Wow, thanks for the pointer to "An analysis of texture..." That's really something.(https://etd.ohiolink.edu/rws_etd/document/get/osu1094828983/inline for anyone who can't be bothered to Google.)
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert