Piano Forum logo
November 18, 2017, 12:10:38 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

The New List of Instructive Editions

At the Music Education Expo in London last week, we received a lot of positive feedback from piano teachers and students who had successfully used Piano Street’s Instructive Editions to improve the learning process. You can easily find the pieces having instructive editions on the new list. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bach 2 part Invention 11 - bar 8 and 9 - the e (flat or natural)  (Read 1394 times)
elizasays
PS Silver Member

« on: April 17, 2015, 04:56:43 AM »

Bar 9 has a lower mordent on the second note in the treble (F) - I've got the Henle urtext edition, where there's no indication that the E in the mordent should be played natural, yet it sounds bad played as a flat (which is in the key signature)

The bass preceding the E in the lower mordent has an Enatural...I'm thinking I should read this lower mordent as having an Enatural too instead of an Eflat, and have seen recordings which do this and some which don't have the mordent at all.

Would appreciate it if anyone can clarify this..
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

j_menz
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 06:06:08 AM »

Henle apparently copies Becker. Busoni and Czerny both give standard mordents, which solves your problem. If you wish to do the lower one, I'd go for E natural.

The Groenland mss has no ornamentation. The Darnkoehler one doesn't either. I'm guessing ones in later editions are editorial - certainly ornamentation is desirable, but you can adapt as taste dictates.

"What the world needs is more geniuses with humility. There are so few of us left" -- Oscar Levant
themeandvariation
PS Gold Member

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 06:22:51 AM »

Hi.
In the editions i have, none of them indicate to play e natural for the auxiliary note in the mordent…  Also, i have a facsimile of the autograph manuscript, and there is a reverse mordent, but there is no natural sign indicated...  Of the recordings I've heard, when the mordent is employed there, e natural is used… In one edition, the Schirmer's.. (questionable) they have the mordent going up  instead to g ….
Although Bach can be chromatic and harmonically complex, e natural has been used consistently in the previous 3 measures, and continues to be employed for 3 measure past that spot in question…  So if it indeed is played as e flat, it would stand out …. and being an auxiliary note, there is not enough weight to shift the harmonic tide…  
I would play it e natural.

4'33"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: