Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: institution vs. private teacher  (Read 1977 times)

Offline anda

• PS Silver Member
institution vs. private teacher
on: December 13, 2004, 07:28:38 PM
what is the best way to learn piano - go to a normal school and have a private piano teacher or go to an official institution and learn in a "dedicated environment" (not my expression)? i'd like to know what you think, which is best and why (financial reasons aside)

Offline jeff

Re: institution vs. private teacher
Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 04:24:09 AM
i think that in institutions, you have a more diverse and extensive range of resources available, but of course private teaching is also very important because of the more intimate and intense one-on-one interaction between teacher and student

Offline m1469

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 05:54:00 AM
I think that it depends on what exactly you are looking for.

How much individual time and attention you need and want. 
What types of environments and attributes inspire your growth.
What you are willing to sacrifice for one vs the other.

It can be inspiring to be in a place where a lot of music is taking place around you,  and help you to get to work.  But some people need a different setting to get "better" work done.  It mostly depends on the individual person and the individual place or teacher and how well the needs and supplies match up.

m1469 Fox
"The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving"  ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

Offline quasimodo

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 09:22:28 AM
I suppose it also depends on your goals. Institutions are the main path to a professional carreer. While if your ambitions are more about fun and self enjoyment, amateur-level, a good private teacher is probably the best choice.
" On ne joue pas du piano avec deux mains : on joue avec dix doigts. Chaque doigt doit être une voix qui chante"

Samson François

Offline pianoannie

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: December 15, 2004, 03:11:52 PM
I suppose it also depends on your goals. Institutions are the main path to a professional carreer. While if your ambitions are more about fun and self enjoyment, amateur-level, a good private teacher is probably the best choice.

This may also depend on what location you are in.  In my part of the USA, serious students tend to study with serious private teachers.  Institutions tend to offer beginner classes, 8-12 students in a class, playing on digital pianos.  Students generall stay in those for a while, then "graduate" up to private lessons if their interest/talent warrants it.

Offline anda

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: December 15, 2004, 08:32:35 PM
in my part of the world :) the "institutions specialized in teaching music" (meaning music schools) offer students individual working time with a teacher.

so, the basic differences (i was considering when i asked this question) would be: with your own private teacher, you negotiate everything with the teacher (naming: works, progres tempo, methods of teaching, etc.); with an institution, there is an authority higher than your piano teacher: the school, represented by a commission who can decide to kick you out if they think you don't work hard enough, or for some other objective reason - and this can be done regardless of your teacher's opinion. also, the institution provides you with theory/harmony/forms/etc. teachers, and with an environment in which everybody plays an instrument. also, a major difference is that with a private teacher, you can get away with lesser achievements, but an institution will not allow it. (unless you have money or connections :) )
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert