Piano Forum

Poll

Do you record/play back your piano practice sessions?

Yes, throughout the learning phase of the music
2 (40%)
Yes, but only when 'polished'
1 (20%)
Never but should
1 (20%)
Never, and not necessary
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: September 23, 2015, 09:16:41 PM

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Recording practice sessions: what do you do?  (Read 1416 times)

Offline dogperson

Recording practice sessions: what do you do?
on: May 26, 2015, 09:16:41 PM
Please provide how you use recording as part of your routine practice.  Any additional comments would be appreciated

Offline lostinidlewonder

• PS Silver Member
Re: Recording practice sessions: what do you do?
Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 03:45:10 AM
Its nice to listen to a recording of a piece you have never heard before. When I was younger I would mimic my favorite recordings, I think this is ok but it should of course not become a habit. I think certain ideas of how music is expressed can be encouraged by good performances. You might do similar to what you like in a recording. It is very rewarding to discover the sound yourself without being spoon fed ideas from recordings.
"The biggest risk in life is to take no risk at all."
www.pianovision.com

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 09:36:37 AM
I don't  bother until I at least have the bones worked out and if being aimed to perform by memory i wil begin recording while still in rougher state. Tho allows me to catch things to improve that I am not aware I am doing or not doing befre they become habit or are learned improperly ad are difficult to be aware of in midst of concentrating on playing.

I actually find the better learned the less I feel need to record since once the playing is fluid and effortless I can direct more and more w my ear.
The goal is become proficient and aware enough ( developing this listening skill is key) that I can make decisions and create new expressive ideas while performing.  This allows me to play a piece however I feel rather than simply how I "learned" it.  My most successful and enjoyable performances on stage in the past have been where I felt the freedom and took advantage of it to actually take the risk to do something I had never done before w a phrase or section simply because I fancied to the vibe from audience moved me in that direction

Offline michael_sayers

Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 06:30:44 AM
Hi Dogperson,

A recording lets one sometimes notice things one wouldn't notice while playing at the keyboard.  A recording only captures a thin slice of the sound presence, so maybe it isn't wise to modify one's playing too much based upon it other than based on identifying flaws in one's playing, or to record oneself too often.

Mvh,
Michael
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert