Piano Forum

Topic: The Inner Game of Music vs The Inner Game of Tennis?  (Read 3045 times)

Online lelle

• PS Gold Member
The Inner Game of Music vs The Inner Game of Tennis?
on: August 19, 2015, 08:02:18 PM
Nerves currently have too big a negative impact on the quality of my playing in performance, especially in high pressure situations. Working on and researching this problem, I have stumbled upon these books. I'd like to read both eventually but I'm a student currently on a shoestring budget so I have to pick one. "Tennis" is the classic and "Music" is, obviously, the musician version. Has anyone here read any or both of these books and can advice me on which one to get?

Offline thalbergmad

• PS Silver Member
Re: The Inner Game of Music vs The Inner Game of Tennis?
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 08:58:04 PM
I have read the music one ages ago and i recall it seeming a bit too good to be true. The author makes some pretty amazing claims on how his methods have assisted tennis players, musicians and even skiers if i remember.

If i can find the damned thing, you are more than welcome to it as it is of no value to me.

Thal
Curator/Director
Concerto Preservation Society

Offline esmusssein

Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 01:20:03 PM
I have both, and they've been helpful in my job, which is not music. :)  They are both good, but, regarding the nerves problem, have you thought about meditation? Unless of course you're already doing it. Also: have you thought about the root of your issue? What causes the anxiety? Analyze it and maybe it will be a good thing.

Oh and the most helpful person I've ever encountered with regard to these problems is the late American renowned psychologist, Albert Ellis. He wrote lots of books,and some of his hilarious lectures are available on YouTube. If I had to pick one of his works, it would be the book entitled How to Refuse to Make Yourself Miserable About Anything Yes, Anything!

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 03:49:47 PM
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline pianotv

Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 03:55:32 PM
I haven't read either book, but I also struggle with nerves and am interested to hear what others have to say!

Facing your fears and all that i'm going on the logic that if i practice in this environment enough I will get better of it. Plus I think it's a new level of learning a piece. Anybody can learn it "ok" but to practice it with the immense pressure of having to get it right every single time can really boost your performance in my opinion.

Another thing I try to do, when performing pieces I think I have done is maintain conversations with people, chat about the weather the day etc while still playing. If i can perform without mistakes a piece that I don't have to put my 100% active concentration too, I know i've really learnt it. 

I think these are great points!
Allysia @pianotv.net

Offline pianist1976

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 04:37:46 PM
I read both (although I couldn't finish the music one) and to me Inner game of tennis was superior to Inner game of Music. I think you can apply its teachings to many activities, including music making.

Online lelle

• PS Gold Member
Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 09:45:57 PM
I have read the music one ages ago and i recall it seeming a bit too good to be true. The author makes some pretty amazing claims on how his methods have assisted tennis players, musicians and even skiers if i remember.

If i can find the damned thing, you are more than welcome to it as it is of no value to me.

Wow that would be absolutely amazing... I live in Sweden though so the shipping might cost a lot of money?

How tight is shoe-string what's your location?

We have Amazon in the UK you can buy the inner game of music for about £3. Possibly you can digitally download it somewhere where you live.

I am massively nervous when performing, I don't think it's having people watching me or how difficult the piece is, simply the pressure of ensuring every single note is correct makes it very difficult.

I try to keep my costs down. I've made some blunders in the past and I'm trying to be more responsible. I love your advice. I really need to practise playing pieces under pressure until I learn how to do it consistently! I will record myself more often. Getting everything note perfect in a single take is next to impossible for me (though note perfection is not what makes me anxious during performance).

I have both, and they've been helpful in my job, which is not music. :)  They are both good, but, regarding the nerves problem, have you thought about meditation? Unless of course you're already doing it. Also: have you thought about the root of your issue? What causes the anxiety? Analyze it and maybe it will be a good thing.

Oh and the most helpful person I've ever encountered with regard to these problems is the late American renowned psychologist, Albert Ellis. He wrote lots of books,and some of his hilarious lectures are available on YouTube. If I had to pick one of his works, it would be the book entitled How to Refuse to Make Yourself Miserable About Anything Yes, Anything!

I believe I have a pretty good overview of the psychological mechanisms and what I'm currently doing that hampers my performance. I do meditation, or rather mindfulness, on a regular basis, and I'm quite calm until the moment I'm actually sitting there and take the first breath in order to play. I don't suffer from trembling hands or panic attacks or stuff like that. So it's really books that deal with how to maintain calmness, clarity and focus during performance that are very interesting, because that is where I think I need to work. I'm adding that Albert Ellis book to my reading list!

I read both (although I couldn't finish the music one) and to me Inner game of tennis was superior to Inner game of Music. I think you can apply its teachings to many activities, including music making.

Thanks. I've had a hunch the classic might be the best one...

Offline pianoman53

• PS Silver Member
Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 05:17:39 PM
He had a long lecture on my Conservatoire. I didn't quite buy any of it. As Thal mensioned, it all seemed to good to be true.

You basically had to do nothing, and never play a wrong note ever again. He also showed some exercises, which were all based on "Think what you did wrong, and don't do them again".
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert