Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Ulnar deviation and radius deviation  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Daniel_piano

• PS Silver Member
Ulnar deviation and radius deviation
on: December 20, 2004, 01:08:04 AM
I was reading about ulnar deviation when the hand is bend toward the fifth finger while the thumb is aligned with the ulna

Now I noticed that I have thumb orientation habit especially in piece where I have to play on the middle C section while I'm seated at the center of the keyabord

I know that the best thing should be to have the arm aligned with the wrist and with the fifith fingers
The problem is that when I play on middle C (up to 6 notes in this octave) I can keep my arm aligned with the wrist, it is always diagonal

While I tried to correct my thumb orientation I noticed that in middle position my arm is either aligned with the thumb toward the fifth fingers or it is fifth finger aligned but not the wrist is not aligned

Both drawings rapresents "right hand"

Now, forgive me for this stupid drawing but it was the only wasy to show you
Now, when I play in middle C section my arm alignment with the wrist is like the one of figure 2
I know it shoudl by like figure 1 but I can't align my arm in that way because my elbow would be in from of my pulmunary cage and playin in this way would be uncomfortable

Anywa idea on how to align my arm properly when I'm playinin middle C?

Thanks a lot
Happy Holidays
Daniel
"Sometimes I lie awake at night and ask "Why me?" Then a voice answers "Nothing personal, your name just happened to come up.""

Offline will

• PS Silver Member
Re: Ulnar deviation and radius deviation
Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 02:30:37 AM
I'm not exactly sure I understand your question, but here goes:
Keep the same alignment of body parts as in the first diagram and move towards middle C. As you do this your elbow will move slightly up and away from your body.

Simply place your thumb on C and don't worry about where the other fingers go. Do not try and place your hand in a five finger position. In the correct position your thumb will not form a continous line with the key,  however the alignment of your fingers, hand and arm will be straight. This may mean that your other fingers are now only covering two or three notes, and your pinky may be touching the fallboard.

I  I
               I  I      <- Middle C
               I_I
                 \
                   \        <- Thumb, hand and arm in a straight line but at an angle to the key
                     \

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert