Piano Forum

Topic: Transcendental etude no 10  (Read 2554 times)

Offline isyriel

Transcendental etude no 10
on: November 06, 2015, 03:25:19 AM
About this etude, the hardest part for me are the tenth chords.  My hand are not big enough to reach them.  For the most part i can roll them but when i reach m.63 (i may be wrong but around there)  The left hand tenths i do not know what to do.  i've experimented with using the right hand to take the one  top note, omitting that top not and playing the base + the remaining 2 in the triplet, and rolling.  Any ideas?
looking for repertoire.

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: Transcendental etude no 10
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 11:03:32 AM
Am a bit confused. Really love no 10, lezghinka is slavic and flashy and spicey and everything nice.  Where exactly in this video time stamp are you talking about

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/review/lyapunov-12-%C3%A9tudes-dex%C3%A9cution-transcendante-op-11

https://www.naxos.com/mainsite/blurbs_reviews.asp?item_code=8.223491&catNum=223491&filetype=About%20this%20Recording&language=English

Offline isyriel

Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 04:44:38 PM
Should have specified liszt
Sorry about that
looking for repertoire.

Offline distantfieldrelative

Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 04:33:41 AM
It looks like using your right hand to play the top note would be the easiest way to play that part given that you cannot play it with one hand.
Sometimes I can only groan and suffer and pour out my despair at the piano.

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 05:04:27 AM
Although visitor probably knew you were talking about Liszt and wanted to make a point, it is always good to remember the lesser known composers, even if just to satisfy members like visitor!!
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 10:05:38 PM
bump

Offline khantallis123

Reply #6 on: November 08, 2015, 10:08:48 PM
[never mind

Offline khantallis123

Reply #7 on: November 08, 2015, 10:10:46 PM
Although visitor probably knew you were talking about Liszt and wanted to make a point, it is always good to remember the lesser known composers, even if just to satisfy members like visitor!!

I'm pretty sure the OP knows about the Lyapunov Etude. However, she/he is not inefficient enough to play them at the learning stage.

Lyapunov Etudes are pretty much useless for competitions. Not that they are bad works (they are actually very pretty and pleasing to my ear), but they are not taken as seriously by the real-deal-people as the Chopin, Lsizt, or Rachmaninoff Etudes.

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 10:16:49 PM
Never mind,
Well you're not exactly the most helpful person on this forum  ;D

But IMHO I agree about the Kosenko.

Offline schumaniac

• PS Silver Member
Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 11:04:00 PM
[never mind
ooh, your alt account has been revealed, rubinsteinmad!

Quote from: rubinsteinmad, kypiano, opus90, khantallis123, and many other forms
Lyapunov Etudes are pretty much useless for competitions. Not that they are bad works (they are actually very pretty and pleasing to my ear), but they are not taken as seriously by the real-deal-people as the Chopin, Lsizt, or Rachmaninoff Etudes.
who told you that? or is that just your "instinctive feeling" .-. I'm sure if I played a Lyapunov etude well (e.g. "The Storm") the judges would still find it very respectable...

Offline rubinsteinmad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 12:53:04 AM
ooh, your alt account has been revealed, rubinsteinmad!
who told you that? or is that just your "instinctive feeling" .-. I'm sure if I played a Lyapunov etude well (e.g. "The Storm") the judges would still find it very respectable...

Bruh I meant specific competitions.

Many competitions require thus "a Chopin or Liszt Etude" or "a Chopin or Liszt or Rachmanioff Etude" or "a Chopin Etude and another Etude by Liszt, Rach, or Debussy". Another one wants you to do "A Chopin or Liszt Etude, as well as a Rachmaninoff or Scriabin Etude."

Even in the E-Piano Competition in Minnesota, with their infamously long list of Etude composers, they do not mention Lyapunov.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert