Piano Forum logo
June 20, 2018, 11:01:43 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Wigmore Hall As Schiff's Magic Laboratory

Sir Andras Schiff's eloquence as a teacher and profound insights as a thinker about music make his Masterclass sessions irresistible to participants and audiences alike. Through the course of this event an outstanding young musician, chosen by Sir András himself, will explore some of the repertoire featured in the previous evening's concert. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to think about this part?  (Read 1181 times)
xdjuicebox
PS Silver Member

« on: February 04, 2016, 06:02:57 AM »

So a while back someone told me that the way I thought about this part of Liebestraume No. 3 was wrong. This is coming right off of the Fm -> C -> Am -> E part.

So the way I think about this part is that it's "in E," because if you think about it that way, then it's just a really simple walk through the circle of 5ths (E -> G#7/D# -> G#m7b5/Bnatural -> C#7 -> F#9 -> Bdominant13 +whatever extensions idk how to analyze-> E, correct/modify that if I'm wrong). That's if E is the tonic. Except I was told it was not the tonic. I know we're in Am right now, so I think of E as the tonic in the dominant key.

So the question is, how are you SUPPOSED to think about this part? I kind of learned theory by reading wikipedia so...
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No

I am trying to become Franz Liszt. Trying. And failing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: