Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: What key is this in?  (Read 1470 times)

theholygideons

What key is this in?
on: February 21, 2016, 08:08:55 AM

Offline marijn1999

Re: What key is this in?
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 10:05:54 AM
Hi,

Most of the time, that is, up to until about the late 19th century, you can identify the key of a certain piece by looking at the final chord (however, not always). Looking at this piece, not knowing it very well, I'd say it is in C major, since it makes a lot of use of the dominant (G major) in de accompaniment.

If we look at the final chord here, we have a full C major triad with a doubled root in the bass clef. We have the same in the treble clef, however we also find an A in the chord. I think that just serves as nonfunctional harmony to deceive the listener a little bit. Remember, this ballet was written in 1910-11 when harmony meant something very different then in, say 1890.

Stravinsky probably wants to confirm the listeners thought that the piece is in C major, but simply adds some nonfunctional harmony to add interest to the piece. That is something he (and numerous other Russian composers) do all the time in their music.

I hope that helps.

BW,
Marijn
Composing and revising old pieces.
---------------------------------------
Visit my YouTube channel! (https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCR0LNNGEPY002W1UXWkqtSw)

theholygideons

Re: What key is this in?
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 12:08:20 PM
If we look at the final chord here, we have a full C major triad with a doubled root in the bass clef. We have the same in the treble clef, however we also find an A in the chord.
Don't the F sharps point towards g major or e minor? but then, what's the b flat doing. I was hoping for there to be some tonic dominant relationships as well.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert