Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Forearm and wrist pain, what's wrong?  (Read 2059 times)

Offline anisiaelena77

Forearm and wrist pain, what's wrong?
on: March 11, 2016, 06:36:37 PM
In the last days I am facing a big problem, I'm having sore forearm and I can't play relaxed, I have a competition next week and I have to fix this as soon as I can. The piano there is very heavy and my repertoire is almost all in forte and requires great stamina and technique.  I am playing Chopin op. 25 no. 12 and from the third page my hands are getting very stiff, Sonate Beethoven op. 22 which is ok, and the Hungarian Rhapsody no. 6 with the finale octaves that gets on my nerves. I don't think that I'm using the wrong technique...
So, how to fix this muscle pain? Does one day with no practice would be useful?
And another question, how to play on a heavier piano? I found out that I get tired more easily and because the sound it's not really as powerful as I want I am doing a lot more effort.
Thank you! :)

Offline hardy_practice

• PS Silver Member
Re: Forearm and wrist pain, what's wrong?
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 08:54:50 PM
Whip a couple of these on.

B Mus, PGCE, DipABRSM

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert