Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: What is happening here/Does this happen to you?  (Read 1434 times)

Offline immortalbeloved

What is happening here/Does this happen to you?
on: March 20, 2016, 06:56:02 PM
Hey everyone, one quick side note, I just got introduced to John Field's nocturnes and have really been enjoying them. Apparently, he is the, or was, the precursor to Chopin.

Anyways!!! I have a question to ask of you all. My first go at a piano song is always okay, no matter how many times I have played it. But by my second go, it improves almost to the point of ''wow.'' I have had this occur so many times that I now play all my reportoir that I am planning on practicing once, take a break, return, and then really get into them.

It is slightly nerve racking though. What if I am at a friends house and he asks me to play or something like that? I cannot just tell him, '''please plug your ears for the few minutes while I run through it.'' Or what about a performance. I have been in lessons almost a year and a half now, and I began the piano at a late stage in life. So maybe this is an example of my fingers not yet devlopong the strength etc? I hope I can get out of this.

Offline distantfieldrelative

Re: What is happening here/Does this happen to you?
Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 07:16:17 PM
Yes, the Field nocturnes are magnificent. I may be biased to that point if view however.

It sounds to me that you are just "warming up your fingers". If you haven't played all day then at the end of the day at a friends house are requested to play a Chopin etude, I would not expect the first go at it to be your own standard.

Ex: If I don't play piano for a week for whatever reason and then I return and play a short prelude of considerable difficulty, the first time I don't expect much. I am simply allowing myself to "stretch". Like before a run.

Then the second time I play it, it sounds much better.
Probably nothing to worry about.

Best.
Sometimes I can only groan and suffer and pour out my despair at the piano.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert