Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: "The Big Three"  (Read 5680 times)

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
Re: "The Big Three"
Reply #100 on: April 30, 2016, 11:14:43 PM
You missed my point. My point was that I hate arguing with you all because you are apparently incapable of carrying out a reasonable debate. You love trying to make me angry and look silly, probably to convince yourselves that I am wrong. That is why I have been ignoring your pathetic studies and illogical arguments. I promised myself and PS I wouldn't go through this again so I won't.
It's ironic, because you are claiming all everyone else is doing is AD HOMINEM arguments.
This is extremely ironic; this is an AD HOMINEM ARGUMENT IN ITSELF.
By painting everyone else as savages you forego having to make a real argument in the first place (holier-than-thou tactic).
Ironically, the only one who has spewed NOTHING BUT AD HOMINEM is YOU.

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #102 on: April 30, 2016, 11:33:13 PM
Swagmaster has essentially summed it up. You've accused us of only ad hominem arguments, and only false information. Meanwhile, you've provided zero evidence as to why this is so.

Offline opus43

Reply #103 on: May 01, 2016, 12:20:12 AM
Ooooh, I'll go unbrainwash myself with some books supporting the geocentric model of the universe dating to before Galileo <33333333  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
Active since 1706!

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #104 on: May 01, 2016, 12:53:05 AM
OK, then, you win! Yay! Pencilart3 is a stupid dork boxhead idiot brainwashed retard!! You win! Yayy!!!

Now are you happy?
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
Reply #105 on: May 01, 2016, 01:02:12 AM
OK, then, you win! Yay! Pencilart3 is a stupid dork boxhead idiot brainwashed retard!! You win! Yayy!!!

Now are you happy?
OK, then, you win! Yay! Swagmaster420x is a stupid savage evil irrational brainwashed hellbent retard!! You win! Yayy!!!

Now are you happy?

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #106 on: May 01, 2016, 03:44:56 AM

Now are you happy?
nobody said this but you, Noah..

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #107 on: May 01, 2016, 01:22:27 PM
...therefore it must be true...
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #108 on: May 01, 2016, 08:39:36 PM
...therefore it must be true...
By what logic?

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
Reply #109 on: May 01, 2016, 09:29:02 PM
By what logic?
"Noah" is playing you like a fiddle

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #110 on: May 05, 2016, 03:07:49 AM
Take it easy, guys. We'll only find out for sure by the time we're dead, and if God doesn't exist, we won't really " know, " because we'll all be unconscious... forever  ;D. Let's all have some pizza and talk about Scriabin's mysticism or something.

Best,

AJ

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #111 on: May 05, 2016, 03:24:20 AM
Hey, if you're buying...

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #112 on: May 05, 2016, 03:25:51 AM
Some Papa John's or Pizza Hut really does sound like a treat right now.

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #113 on: May 06, 2016, 12:49:46 AM
Like I said- if you're buying, I'm MORE than happy to celebrate Cinco de Mayo with you ;)

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #114 on: May 07, 2016, 11:54:48 PM
why do people always like to mention religion...it has nothing to do with the topic.

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #115 on: May 08, 2016, 03:40:42 AM
Like I said- if you're buying, I'm MORE than happy to celebrate Cinco de Mayo with you ;)

And Donald Trump!

That's post 1800! Woot WOOOTTTTTTT

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #116 on: May 08, 2016, 01:48:05 PM
James,

If you were referring to what I said then just remember that I didn't actually mention religion at all. :)

Best,

AJ

PS.

Science is cool.

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #117 on: May 08, 2016, 06:04:42 PM
why do people always like to mention religion...it has nothing to do with the topic.
And Donald Trump!
Because dogmatic thinking can lead to unconditional acceptance of either one.

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #118 on: May 08, 2016, 09:17:00 PM
You are quite the ones to be talking about dogmatism ;)

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #119 on: May 09, 2016, 01:00:22 AM
can you not

im not american so idc about trump
secondly noah-kun, if you dont have anything to say just dont post. either clearly illustrate your criticisms of climate science (or evolution, or big bang) or piss off.

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #120 on: May 09, 2016, 02:54:59 AM
You are quite the ones to be talking about dogmatism ;)
Yes, believing in the whole "evidence" and "logic" thing.

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #121 on: May 09, 2016, 03:03:10 AM
Assuming, of course, that logic and evidence are on your side?

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Reply #122 on: May 09, 2016, 03:12:56 AM
I'd be interested to see which of either you posses.

Offline ajlongspiano

• PS Silver Member
Reply #123 on: May 09, 2016, 05:33:29 AM
I have a question for you guys. And just so you all know, I hope we can be kind and civil to each other about this. You guys know I value our friendships and I wouldn't trade that.

If we don't really have a solid foundation of what the essence of a God would be like, how can we disregard the possibility of his existence fully? It's as if we presuppose that a divine creator would be recordable if he existed. Some things can be objectively disproven. For example, can a person run at the speed of light? Now, that would be fairly easy to disprove because we are provided information which can act as a basis for our experiment. The first piece of information we have is what the speed of light is, which is 299 792 458 m / s.  The next piece of information is what physical requirements it would take to get you going that fast. It would take an infinite amount of energy to get anything that has mass (Like a person or a rock) going at that rate of speed. If you burned all the oil (and plants, and animals) on our planet and converted them into kinetic energy you would get going pretty dang fast, but it would still give you  0% of the total energy that you need to get going at that immense rate of speed (since any number divided by infinity is zero). Through this, we could come to the logical conclusion that a person cannot run at the speed of light.
   Now the dilemma when it comes to disproving or proving a God scientifically is that we don't actually have the necessary physical properties and data to define what a God would even be like, so it's just about impossible to come to a definite conclusion as to whether He exists or not based on whether or not we can observe Him. Science and physics observe the observable world and draw conclusions from it and that is BEAUTIFUL. I absolutely love science. But it can't draw conclusions out of things that don't have an observable foundation in the first place, even though the things may be true. For example, can you describe to me the essence of energy? Not what it does, how it relates to the world, or it's mathematical formula, but its very substance? We have a reason to believe in energy, no doubt, a really GOOD reason. It governs everything around us! But we don't believe in it because we can actually observe it, we believe in it because we observe how the world works and come to a conclusion that there must be an agent of cause, a logical progression that makes everything work. The really tricky part is when we get down to those little irreducible things that force us to (dare I say it) sacrifice our progressive and logical reasoning and come to the conclusion that "It just is" or "It was conceived by a mind and that mind just is." And I believe that the compromise of it is that when we choose which, we must acknowledge that that thing or who has the essence of being in of itself/themself. The intrinsic ability to cause itself to exist. That's a crazy thing to wrap our minds around in my opinion (The world is so cool!). So could God exist? I believe it's very possible/plausible, and I believe that a person who believes in God is neither unintellectual nor illogical. Looking forward to talk more about this with you guys. I hope you all have a great night and week!

Best,

AJ

PS.

I know this topic was not originally made to discuss the idea of God but it started to sway that way, so I figured I would share a few personal notions.

Offline mjames

• PS Silver Member
Reply #124 on: May 09, 2016, 01:19:30 PM
Yes, things that are falsifiable can be disproved, things that are not cannot...
Your point basically amounts to "if we don't know what it is then we can't disprove it." Yeah okay, so what?
You want me to describe a physical quantity without using physical definitions? Well yeah, that's another malformed question. I honestly don't understand what you're trying to get at. You're misunderstanding what energy is as a physical quantity, there is no "essence" to it. It is merely a tool of measurement we use to describe the transfer and exchange of different properties between systems.

----

Yes, God(s) are possible but they're also highly improbable. Much like a teacup being on the surface on Pluto, or all of us being inside the matrix, or all of us being a part of someone's dreams, or memories of your entire life were downloaded into you 5seconds though. It's just pointless rhetoric.
No evidence (aside from eye-witness testimony) points to any sort of deity described by humans. No scientific evidence points to the existence of an intelligent designer.

and I believe that a person who believes in God is neither unintellectual nor illogical.

Neither do i. Newton, Galileo, Copernicus, and plenty of others believed in supernatural first causes, doesn't make them idiots. However the belief itself is irrational for a number of reasons (God being the first cause/non-sequitur, special pleading fallacies, and so on).

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
Reply #125 on: May 09, 2016, 10:29:56 PM
f u  c   k k k k   j e s u   s   ch  r  i  s tt 
hes some anoying stupid idiot at my school who wont shut the fu    c k k up  i think he needs to have his throat stomepd into the the curb

Offline opus43

Reply #126 on: May 13, 2016, 01:13:28 AM
Active since 1706!

Offline timothy42b

• PS Silver Member
Reply #127 on: May 13, 2016, 02:15:52 PM
Assuming, of course, that logic and evidence are on your side?

A lot of it comes down to perceived certainty. 

The first point is that you are correct, this is a two step process.  You assume that logic and evidence means something, and then you determine if logic and evidence are on your side.  Then you make a choice which side you think is right.

The assumption that logic and evidence means something is not a universal given.  There are many particularly within conservative religious groups who do NOT accept that.  I am not sure whether you (pencilart) accept that.  I hope that you do. 

The actual mathematical models are beyond the understanding of most of us here.  I read the IPCC report and the opinion of 97% of climate scientists supporting it.  That was enough to give me at least a provisional acceptance of the likelihood of AGW.  Until I did that I had not formed any opinion.   Since then there has been a host of supporting evidence from ocean salinity and pH, glacier flow etc., that increased my degree of acceptance.  100% certainty?  Well, that's hard to come by.  But at least at the level of where a reasonable person can't reject it. 

If you came to your contrary conclusion before you looked at the data, OR you are very certain of your conclusion, then you based your decision on religious reasons and not on logic or evidence. 

This is very important.  Decisions made for religious reasons, in ignorance of evidence, are ALWAYS perceived to be more certain.  This in itself is a data point.  The more certain you are, the more your reasoning must be based on religion, and the more likely you are to be wrong about anything scientific.  (I'm using religion in a more general sense, not pointing at a particular religion or arguments from a religious text, but in the context of religious thinking in general.)  I think that you, pencilart, are very very certain.

The number of climate scientists who accept AGW is at least 97%.  The number of Baptist preachers who reject AGW is at least 99%.  Which group is better at evaluating scientific data? 
Tim

Offline swagmaster420x

• PS Silver Member
Reply #128 on: May 13, 2016, 06:41:11 PM
A lot of it comes down to perceived certainty.  

The first point is that you are correct, this is a two step process.  You assume that logic and evidence means something, and then you determine if logic and evidence are on your side.  Then you make a choice which side you think is right.

The assumption that logic and evidence means something is not a universal given.  There are many particularly within conservative religious groups who do NOT accept that.  I am not sure whether you (pencilart) accept that.  I hope that you do.  

The actual mathematical models are beyond the understanding of most of us here.  I read the IPCC report and the opinion of 97% of climate scientists supporting it.  That was enough to give me at least a provisional acceptance of the likelihood of AGW.  Until I did that I had not formed any opinion.  Since then there has been a host of supporting evidence from ocean salinity and pH, glacier flow etc., that increased my degree of acceptance.  100% certainty?  Well, that's hard to come by.  But at least at the level of where a reasonable person can't reject it.  

If you came to your contrary conclusion before you looked at the data, OR you are very certain of your conclusion, then you based your decision on religious reasons and not on logic or evidence.  

This is very important.  Decisions made for religious reasons, in ignorance of evidence, are ALWAYS perceived to be more certain.  This in itself is a data point.  The more certain you are, the more your reasoning must be based on religion, and the more likely you are to be wrong about anything scientific.  (I'm using religion in a more general sense, not pointing at a particular religion or arguments from a religious text, but in the context of religious thinking in general.)  I think that you, pencilart, are very very certain.

The number of climate scientists who accept AGW is at least 97%.  The number of Baptist preachers who reject AGW is at least 99%.  Which group is better at evaluating scientific data?  
Stf U idiot u are irrational
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert