Piano Forum

Master Teacher Christopher Elton – Never Ending Impetus
With 50 years at the Royal Academy of Music and an international teaching career, Professor Christopher Elton has gained unique experience in how to coach accomplished artists. In this unique interview for Piano Street, Elton shares his insights and views on the big perspective. Read more >>

Topic: Brrooaaaahms !! - Lukas Vondracek - Brussels - Queen Elisabeth Contest  (Read 2054 times)

Offline alessandro

• PS Silver Member
Hello everybody !
It is probably a cliché to say that "the quality of the participants of this year's contest is exceptionally fantastic" ! But frankly, there are lots of wonderful pianists coming towards us, wow ! Such a joy to hear that.

Here is just one example (starts around minute 9:00)

https://www.rtbf.be/auvio/detail_queen-elisabeth-2016-piano-lukas-vondra-ek-demi-finale-recital?id=2108744

The Brahms Sonate fa minor opus 5, by the Russian terribly onychophagiac Lukas Vondracek.   I do not find very suitable metaphors (wizardry, a gap in the earth with fire and heat down below coming towards me and there a black hole and I can't find an adjective right now for the kind of delicacy and tenderness in this performance...)  

This is a marvellous performance, isn't it (or am I exaggerating in some way or another ?)

Very kind greetings to you all.

Offline irrational

• PS Silver Member
I saw and heard Vondracek when he won the UNISA competition in 2012.
I was really impressed by his playing.The 2 things I can still remember clearly is his Haydn which was unfaultable to me and Martinu 3 Czech dances.

He is doing some recitals in my country later this year I think and I will do what I can to attend them. He is quirky at the piano, but his playing is of the highest quality.

Offline irrational

• PS Silver Member
So now that he's won.
What were your views on his Rachmaninov?
I found it quite impressive and very enjoyable.
Some very odd lines came out that I am not used to, but I thought it was a great performance. He has such a strong technique to back it up and energy all the way through.

Offline alessandro

• PS Silver Member
So now that he's won.
What were your views on his Rachmaninov?
I found it quite impressive and very enjoyable.
Some very odd lines came out that I am not used to, but I thought it was a great performance. He has such a strong technique to back it up and energy all the way through.

Absolutely.   I'm in awe.   What a pianist.    It rained journalistic metaphors : "dangerous territories, a vertiginous mountainpath, rhythmcliffs, thrillervolcanos, detailjungles, lawines of chords"...
It would have surprised me if there would have been a more exceptional talent.   He was out of league.    What an artist.    I do not come across artists like him very often.
You know, I have to admit that I have a penchant for sculptors of sound, the moulders of sound, you know what I mean ? Evgeni Bozhanov, Sviatoslav Richter, the distillation in concentration and total passion.   It is music, but I love it when it's even more not "just" music or "only" music.    And with these guys (I also liked Yoonji Kim by the way,  it's not just a male type of thing !) you feel that they are absolutely and totally involved in what they are doing when they are doing it, you know.   I know they are playing the piano and at the same time I'm hearing well... things ! Different things.   Ofcourse, they are often taking some risks, and they lose sometimes a little bit here and a little bit there, but you feel, well, what can you call it, alive, life ! Irrational, I don't find words for it.    I'm in awe.    What a life ! Indeed, this is a truly un-for-gettable Rach 3.    There were things to be heard in this music that I never heard in any performance before.    Call me naïve or idolatric, it is a milestone in Rach 3.   Beau-ti-ful !

A must hear... (click on "video bekijken" starting at approximately 17:00)

https://www.imkeb.be/4DCGI/cgi?lg=nl&pag=1645&tab=146

Very kind greetings !

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert