Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Glenn Gould: Goldberg Variations 1981 (Subdividing and multiplying beats?)  (Read 1932 times)

Offline marijn1999

Hi everyone,

Recently I started studying the way Glenn Gould is unifying the Goldberg Variations in his 1981 recording in terms of a "rhythmic reference point". For example, he caries on the same rhytmic pulse in the 8th notes from the 1st to the 2nd variation, even though the first variation is in 3/4, and the 2nd variation in 2/4 time.

Now, it gets more complicated at the transition from variation 2 to 3. The 2nd one in 2/4 time, and the 3rd one in 12/8 time. Now, Gould claims that every variation uses one "rhythmic reference point". But I don't see it there. He talks about multiplying and subdividing beats and time values of notes. Does anyone see what he does here? Same goes for places like the transitions from Var. 4-5, 5-6.

Also, the problem is, I can hear that for example the 8th notes in variations 6, 7 and 8 go equally fast, but they all are in different time signatures, so what does he do with the time signatures and beats that gives this feeling of rhythmic continuity.

BW,
Marijn
Composing and revising old pieces.
---------------------------------------
Visit my YouTube channel! (https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCR0LNNGEPY002W1UXWkqtSw)