Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Gould's hum in his recordings  (Read 3443 times)

Offline ssanderz9

Gould's hum in his recordings
on: August 21, 2016, 05:57:15 PM
Hello, I'm new to pianostreet.

I like Gould's recordings of Bach and I know that he hummed when he played.

I just love Gould's hum in his recordings, especially his recording of Goldberg Variations.

...perhaps there's someone else who also likes Gould's humming?

Offline arda152

• PS Silver Member
Re: Gould's hum in his recordings
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 08:59:07 AM
When I first discovered what he was doing, I must admit I was shocked. However, after reading through many reviews of his recordings, I came to the conclusion that the hum was just a personal mark on the recording. It's like: "If you miss my voice after I die, you can find it here..." kind of thing.
If you want to remove it, you can buy a Glenn Gould De-Vocalizer". YES. That's real. https://www.davegrossman.net/gould/

I personally like breathing sounds more. If you listen closely, Richter's WTC has a few of them. It is a really different feeling when you hear Richter taking a deep breath. It is also some good advice, because when you can control your breathing during performance, you can get better results with the phrasing etc., so check that out too :)

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 11:22:37 AM
The hum adds a personal touch which is fair enough. I don't have an issue with it but I don't think it was appropriate.

The guy was very much a marmite pianist and while I do like his performances, it's like the nostalgia of seeing an actor in real life and thinking they're going to be anything like the part they played. He had issues and was very set in his ways and insulted composers and music that was not to his taste.
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline thirtytwo2020

Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 12:34:05 PM

Offline ssanderz9

Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 11:07:35 AM
Thanks for all your replies and the recommendation of Richter's WTC. ;D

I like the breathing sound as well. ...I'm not so good with the phrasing.

Actually my teacher told me to sing along with the music in my mind when I play. So I think that Gould's humming is interesting since it is kind of similar with what I was told to do.

And I searched for the meaning of MARMITE PIANIST. I personally agree that it perhaps best describes Gould.

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert