Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Wonderful Young Arthur Rubinstein's Arm Weight  (Read 3079 times)

Offline mrcreosote

• PS Silver Member
Wonderful Young Arthur Rubinstein's Arm Weight
on: October 03, 2016, 07:55:48 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut8dr4W2x4Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFlyKTyFfrs

Starting out as a child I was a Rubinstein fan, then I discovered Horowitz and was blown away by his monumental ability.  Then the stupendous technique of Cziffra who just didn't seem to get much recognition - too much tech, not enough interpretation, not enough repitoire, or ?

But just learning about rotation and arm weight, I'm back to Rubinstein and am so impressed to see him play. 

My favorite this instant is Rub (and always Horo and Sokolov, Clib, Cz, Ingmar - and of the girls:  always Martha, Valentina (most graceful hands), 'tishvili vs Yuja, Zlata, Yulianna

And from what I can see, people have more fun playing Prok and too bad but Rub said he was too lazy to learn P's sonatas - what a shame...  I've have loved to see him play Dance of the Knights.

Some really good angles of his technique.

Fearless drops, some from above his head, few want to assume that risk.  Nevertheless, this is the way I am trying to play.  For me these drops are more difficult than leaps because a leap starts from a keyboard reference whereas the drop does not. 

And then there is the showmanship...

Offline toughbo

• PS Silver Member
Re: Wonderful Young Arthur Rubinstein's Arm Weight
Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 09:53:40 AM
Relevant:
=13m14s

Offline mrcreosote

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 03:08:34 AM
Great video!

I like how Pollini says what Rub told him about arm weight was the best advice he had gotten in years.  And further, he said as time passed, years later, he realized how precious that advice was.

Wish there were videos of Debussy and more of Prokofiev.  I like how the movie guy, trying to convince Tub to do the movie, asked him "What would you give to see Chopin play?"  and Rub says "... (maybe 10) years of my life."  So upon saying that Rub basically consented.

Offline mrcreosote

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 17, 2017, 06:09:50 AM
Rubinstein at 73 told the 18 year old Pollini about arm weight in 1960.

Obviously R had been using it for a long time since it was the "basis" of his technique and yet, the 18 year old Pollini had no clue.

Without the internet, it would still be a "magicians' secret."

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert