Piano Forum

Topic: Chopin Op. 22 Orchestral Recording?  (Read 1763 times)

Offline chopinlover01

• PS Silver Member
Chopin Op. 22 Orchestral Recording?
on: October 27, 2016, 12:40:40 AM
It seems to me that most people play the solo arrangement, even people who could easily get an orchestra. Firstly, I'd imagine the version with orchestra to be easier; you have less to play overall, and more is taken by the orchestra.
Anyways, my main question is actually about the Andante Spianato; does anyone know of a recording of that with an orchestra? I am, of course, familiar with the stupendous Rubinstein recording of the Grand Polonaise itself with orchestra, but I can't find one of him with an orchestra.

Thanks!

Offline joe wallace

Re: Chopin Op. 22 Orchestral Recording?
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 09:06:02 AM
As far as I know, Chopin only ever wrote the andante spianato for solo piano, not for piano and orchestra. In performance, the orchestra would not enter until the beginning of the polonaise.

Saying that, it appears that Xaver Scharwenka made his own orchestration of the piece, including the andante. I cannot find a recording, but you can get a good idea from the score:
https://urresearch.rochester.edu/institutionalPublicationPublicView.action?institutionalItemId=12585

As for the version with orchestra being easier, I am not sure there is much of a difference at all. The only additions to the solo piano version are the short orchestral fanfares where the piano would otherwise be silent.

Offline jeffok

Re: Chopin Op. 22 Orchestral Recording?
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 11:49:35 AM
The Polonaise was written first, the Andante spianato was added afterwards - I think on the suggestion of a friend - and was written just for solo piano.

The only orchestral parts usually included in solo performances are the fanfares and transitions. As Joe Wallace said, it's not that much although certainly the (string) fanfare that sets off the polonaise is a little tricky until you get the hang of it. Any other orchestral contributions - i.e., those made while the pianist is playing are limited to doubling cadences and the like and aren't normally incorporated into the piano part when performing it as a solo piece.

(If you haven't heard Horowitz' solo recording from the 1940s, it's well worth a listen although it may not be to everyone's taste. His virtuosity in this piece is explosive!)

all best,
jeff ok

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert