Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: New practice routine  (Read 2331 times)

Offline nastassja

• PS Silver Member
New practice routine
on: January 01, 2017, 02:29:30 AM
Hello everybody,

Here is my story: I have been playing for 20 years, but I have spent the last 7 years on and off (some years working on new repertoire with a teacher, and others just reviewing some pieces without serious practice). Now due to different reasons (new piano  :) with heavier action than my previous one) I am back at it again!
My problem is... it seems that my hands are not used to practicing anymore (my left thumb feels weird after so many thumb passages/repetitive alberti bass/stretches...)

I was wondering if anyone on this forum had been in the same situation... I am looking for better ways to practice, and here is what I have come up with so far:

- Option 1: practicing different styles to have my fingers/hands work differently. I wonder if I should just stick to shorter practice sessions (like 30 minutes a day for a week, then upgrading to 40 min or 1 hour...). This used to be my favorite but it does require more than 30 minutes a day to get through the different styles+exercises.

- Option 2: A mix of option 1 + light sight reading work when I feel tired.

- Option 3: No more than 15 minutes at a time, short sessions throughout the day, no matter what I am playing.

I used to practice a lot when I was younger and never hurt myself from overpracticing, but I am wondering whether too much sudden practice could be bad for my hands (since I'm almost old now    ;D).

Thank you in advance!

Offline bronnestam

• PS Silver Member
Re: New practice routine
Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 01:22:24 PM
I think a mixture of them all would be good  ;D  That is, first 30 minutes a day divided on tvo 15-minute sessions ... It is soooo tempting to play more when you are really tagged, but do non-playing practice instead.

I was in the same situation and believe me, you don't want to get into the same trouble. You need to be patient.

I also suggest that you skip those exercises for a while. Or play pieces some days and exercises some other days.

Offline nastassja

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 01:29:36 PM
Thanks! How did you know it was time to go back to a more intensive practice routine?

Offline pjjslp

Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 04:48:44 PM
Thanks! How did you know it was time to go back to a more intensive practice routine?

I'm another one returning to more intensive playing after an extended (~20 year) break. I realized very quickly that my older hands (mid 40s, but with some early signs of osteoarthritis :( ) could not sit down and play for long periods like I used to. Personally, I've learned that I need to either revert to something simple or stop completely when I start to feel fatigue that affects my playing, or when I start to notice tension in my wrists, arms, and/or shoulders. And the couple of times I've developed an ache or pain that seemed to be exacerbated by practicing a specific piece, I've put it away for a couple of weeks and then started again VERY gradually.

Basically, I listen to my body. It tells me when it's time to stop, just like with any other activity that has the potential for overuse injuries. True injury is no fun and recovery gets harder with age!

Offline bronnestam

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 08:39:43 AM
Yes, it is basically that: you listen to your body.

After that first start-up period, you will find there are days when you can play as much as you want. If it feels good, then just do it! But still without ignoring the signals. Fatigue is NOT a sign of "weak character", which many immortal teens seem to believe, but a signal from your body that you've had enough for this day.

Also learn to appreciate the practice away from the piano because with some training it will be highly rewarding, at no physical cost.

For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert