Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Badly need your advice re buying a CONOVER CABLE..  (Read 3844 times)

Offline blackmilkmonkey

Badly need your advice re buying a CONOVER CABLE..
on: February 06, 2017, 08:39:50 AM
I hope that someone will be able to help me with an answer.. We have been renting a piano for my little girl to practice on and need to decide whether we should buy it. we have rented for over two years and spent over $4k to date on this Conover Cable, so the dealer says that the piano is worth a total of $6,895 and we'd have to pay additional $2900 + tax for it. I don't know how old it is but it is in great shape, dealer had it restored and it sounds lovely. it's the smallest grand ever (5 or 6 feet long I think) in a shiny warm brown color. only numbers I can find on it are ISCG0252 and CC-155.
it just sounds so expensive for a brand I have never heard of before that is not made any more.. but of course I do not know my pianos much :)

any help would be ENORMOUSLY appreciated!!!

Offline dogperson

Re: Badly need your advice re buying a CONOVER CABLE..
Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 09:18:56 AM
I am just a pianist, and not a tech, but yours is a 5' 1" grand, with a  retail value of  around $10,000.  Since the price usually paid is a percentage of retail, the price is not a bargain.
https://www.bluebookofpianos.com/fairtrade/conover.htm

I could not find a serial number with what you have provided, but the link provided above has a phone number for Samick, which is the manufacturer now of this brand.  They should be able to help you find the year of manufacturer.  The fact that it is no longer produced is of little concern, as piano parts are not brand-specific, and many old pianos have been excellently restored.

Paying $7,000 for this piano (if you consider the rental as part of the payment) seems excessive because of the size as well as the brand.  

The question is:  if you do not invest the extra funds in the piano, would you have sufficient funds to start over?   I would recommend that if you are considering the purchase, you pay for the services of a tech to evaluate the piano condition as 'restoring' a piano can mean many different things to different people.  The pro side of looking at keeping the piano is the relatively small additional investment you would need to make and the fact that you like the sound.

If you need to find a tech, you might start with Piano Technicians' Guild
https://www.ptg.org/Scripts/4Disapi.dll/4DCGI/cms/review.html?Action=CMS_Document&DocID=19&MenuKey=Menu27

although certainly excellent techs are not members.

If you decide to start-over your search, I would let the independent tech that inspects this piano know that you are looking.  I found my current piano through my tech.  In addition, you should have any potential purchase of a pre-owned piano inspected by the independent tech.  Don't skip this step!

Hope this helps a little.

EDITED TO ADD:  Another possibility is checking with the dealer whether the $4,000 could be applied to another piano.... if you decide you do not want to purchase this one.  Again, I would have an independent tech check out the proposed purchase

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Re: Badly need your advice re buying a CONOVER CABLE..
Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 02:02:26 PM
While the price is no bargain, it isn't out of line, either -- and you have already paid two thirds of it.  There's a lot to be said for that!  At least if you are on a budget like mine.  Further, it would seem that you like the way the piano sounds, and that your daughter likes it -- all pluses.

Age in pianos is not really a factor, if they have been cared for.  The piano I use daily is 118 years old, and going strong.

If it were my decision, I'd probably go for it.
Ian

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert