Piano Forum

A Massive Glimpse Into Ligeti’s Pianistic Universe
Performing Ligeti’s complete Etudes is a challenge for any pianist. Young pianist Han Chen has received both attention and glowing reviews for his recording of the entire set for Naxos. We had the opportunity to speak with the pianist after his impressive recital at the Piano Experience in Cremona last fall. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin - Andante Spianato and Grande Polonaise  (Read 2228 times)

Offline blazekenny

• PS Silver Member
Chopin - Andante Spianato and Grande Polonaise
on: March 24, 2017, 05:09:02 PM
Hello,
I am also adding my take on this popular piece :
&feature=youtu.be

I recorded it on one take in remaining time, so pardon the mistakes.
I would be delighted to hear your opinions!

Offline adodd81802

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin - Andante Spianato and Grande Polonaise
Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 07:05:12 PM
Not quite sure how you get time to even post on a Piano Forum with the time it must take to learn masterpieces such as this!

I heard the mistakes, i'm not bothered, you did very well. What Chopinist doesn't aspire to play this piece. Bravo!
"England is a country of pianos, they are everywhere."

Offline blazekenny

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 12:06:19 AM
Not quite sure how you get time to even post on a Piano Forum with the time it must take to learn masterpieces such as this!

I heard the mistakes, i'm not bothered, you did very well. What Chopinist doesn't aspire to play this piece. Bravo!
Thanks, thats very kind of you. I had to record some recordings in order to apply for the Erasmus programme. I was thinking about deleting it afterwards though because of the mistakes....is it that bad, or almost unnoticeable ?

Offline piulento

Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 09:18:41 AM
WOW - that was awesome! Way to go!
You play very clearly and you seem to really understand what you want in terms of phrasing and dynamics.
I think overall your playing could be a bit lighter. It is a bit too harsh for me at some points. But I'm guessing it'll come naturally over time. The mistakes are hardly noticeable BTW.
TBH, I really envy your playing - really good work!
Keep polishing it up and I'll hope to hear you in Warsaw in October 2020 haha  ;)

Offline blazekenny

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 11:00:10 AM
WOW - that was awesome! Way to go!
You play very clearly and you seem to really understand what you want in terms of phrasing and dynamics.
I think overall your playing could be a bit lighter. It is a bit too harsh for me at some points. But I'm guessing it'll come naturally over time. The mistakes are hardly noticeable BTW.
TBH, I really envy your playing - really good work!
Keep polishing it up and I'll hope to hear you in Warsaw in October 2020 haha  ;)
Thanks for your very, very kind comment. Those are definitely the moments we play piano for.
I totally agree with you that the andante spianato could be more intimate and not as heavy. With the polonaise though. Do you think itīs too harsh overall, or just the more dramatic places ? My teacher always told me, that - while chopin always needs to be polite and elegant - the polonaise is a very proud dance and has always referenced to Rubinstein playing it in Russia as a form of political protest, hence even ending the coda of the a flat major one in  clusters...
I might have misunderstood it a little though.
Definitely very interesting to think about !

Offline piulento

Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 12:29:26 PM
Thanks for your very, very kind comment. Those are definitely the moments we play piano for.
I totally agree with you that the andante spianato could be more intimate and not as heavy. With the polonaise though. Do you think itīs too harsh overall, or just the more dramatic places ? My teacher always told me, that - while chopin always needs to be polite and elegant - the polonaise is a very proud dance and has always referenced to Rubinstein playing it in Russia as a form of political protest, hence even ending the coda of the a flat major one in  clusters...
I might have misunderstood it a little though.
Definitely very interesting to think about !

It's mostly a matter of your personal preference. I think that some points in the polonaise itself could be played less harshly, without sacrificing the "maestoso" feeling you're looking for. I'm mostly talking about certain right-hand melodies (because the left hand really should be dramatic and bold, as you suggest) - you can play it in a very marked and well -articulated fashion, but still have a brilliant and smooth sound.
Listen to Kate Liu, she's wonderful.
But like I said, it's a matter of personal taste :)

Offline kalospiano

Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 09:20:16 PM
wow, really impressive, just as your performances of the chopin etudes.
I hope your application succeeded! If so, have a lot of fun in Erasmus ;)

Offline mistralx

Reply #7 on: June 04, 2017, 10:02:23 PM
Amazing performance man!
I would like to ask what instrument is this piece being played on? And what device did you use for recording purposes?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert