Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Looking to get a new piano tomorrow Help! :)  (Read 1513 times)

Offline ancientsolar

• PS Silver Member
Looking to get a new piano tomorrow Help! :)
on: March 26, 2017, 09:33:17 PM
Hello,.

I have been playing piano since 2009.
I have grade 7 in piano and spent nearly all my time learning on a 2004 Casio AP65R.

Tomorrow i'm hoping to buy a new/used piano.

My questions Digital vs other digital,.
Digital vs Acoustic etc.

I want a piano that will take me to and above Grade 8,. this is the equivalent of playing the whole of Moonlight Sonata etc
Yamaha CLP 575 is my hope for a digital..
but I wondered if a 30 year old Ronisch Acoustic upright,. in immaculate condition was a worthy competitor?

Budget is £1700 but I am willing to have a lease to knock that up to £3000 ~ which may even be enough for the CLP 585 and the Kawai equivalent etc.

Offline iansinclair

• PS Silver Member
Re: Looking to get a new piano tomorrow Help! :)
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 10:14:29 PM
Oof!  You are in a bit of a hurry, my friend!  While you are at the piano places, look around and see if you see a lonesome small grand somewhere in the shop and give it a try.  And whatever you do, try several pianos to see how you like the action.  You are advanced enough to be able to feel some differences, at least.

In terms of going on to and above Grade 8, you are going to need a grand at some point in the very near future.  Sorry, but that's the way it is.  A very VERY high quality upright might suffice if you are tight on space.  A very VERY high quality digital with a grand action might also suffice -- and in that regard, the 575 qualifies.
Ian

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert