Piano Forum

A Free Grand Piano? – Scammers Target Piano Enthusiasts
If you’re in the market for a piano, be cautious of a new scam that’s targeting music lovers, businesses, schools, and churches. Scammers are offering “free” pianos but with hidden fees that can add up to hundreds of dollars and, as you may have guessed, the piano will never be delivered. Read more >>

Topic: What to learn...  (Read 3568 times)

Offline jodecahedron

• PS Silver Member
What to learn...
on: May 07, 2017, 03:55:18 PM
Hiya!
This is my first post... but I'm glad I found this site so expect to see me a lot :)
I'm a student studying grade 5  who started a year ago when I was around 12. I really should be focusing on my Grade 5 pieces but they're boring so I'm procrastinating with other ones.
Here's what I've learned in the last year (in congruent order):
- Allegro by Clementi (Grade 3 ABRSM)
- A Stormy Coast (Grade 3 ABRSM)
- Für Elise by Beethoven
- Sonata Facile by Mozart
- Turkish March by Mozart
- Bach's Little Prelude BWV 999
- Fantaise Impromptu by Chopin
- Debussy's Premier Arabesque
And most recently, Waltz Op. 69 No. 2 by Chopin.
I know from that list it looks like I'm kind of all over the place in terms of difficulty, but with my teachers never really told me no when I asked to learn something, and I usually make sure to get it done for the sole reason I feel like I've failed, especially with how late of a beginner I am. I like to memorize my pieces since I find sight reading hard with two staves (I played tenor sax when I was 11).
 At this point I really am just deciding what to move onto next, and I really like Chopin, so I was thinking Op. 64 No 1 or 2- Number 2 seems really out of my league, especially with the part all the professionals like to play really fast despite the fact it's a waltz. I also really like Liszt, but literally all of his songs that I want to learn seem wildly difficult. His piece Mephisto Waltz is what made me want to start piano in the first place, but after beginning, it seems as if I have a decade ahead of me before I can even touch that piece. I really like a challenge, so does anyone wanna go ahead and recommend a nice set on pieces I should work through for a while... I think that's how repertoire works? Either way, thanks for any replies!!

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: What to learn...
Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 12:10:53 PM

Offline visitor

• PS Silver Member
Re: What to learn...
Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 12:15:22 PM

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert