Piano Forum logo
November 25, 2017, 05:58:00 AM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

Murray Perahia: Not of this World

Perahia’s now legendary status means that he is often regarded as someone who is somewhat removed from normal life – which corresponds to the title of the documentary “Not of this world”. But it is only Perahia’s playing, with its otherworldly beauty, that seems to be beyond all earthly limitations. As this film shows, the artist engages in all facets of life as well as his work. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transposing Beethoven's 14th Piano Sonata into C#/Db Major  (Read 181 times)
roshankakiya123
PS Silver Member

« on: October 09, 2017, 06:41:06 PM »

I would like to transpose the first movement of Beethoven's 14th Piano Sonata into C#/Db major. Is it possible to do this? How can I do this?
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
themeandvariation
PS Gold Member

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 07:46:53 PM »

It is Already in C# minor.. So play as written.  
But i also see that your wrote 'Db "major"..' So if you want it in 'major' - you'll have to rewrite the composition itself..
Or, if you wanted to use a major scale - Db major.. one could use That scale - to transpose the piece to Bb minor.  (not sure why i responded here, this is pretty whacky..

please choose 0ne of the options, or explain the reason of your intention.
T.

ps..the 2nd movement is already in Db major..

4'33"
roshankakiya123
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 10:10:40 PM »

I listened to this YouTube video and I am intrigued by the harmony from 0:00 to 0:45 and 3:08 to 5:59:

This video has inspired me to transpose the aforementioned piece into C#/Db major.
themeandvariation
PS Gold Member

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 10:26:10 PM »

The piece you posted is not simply transposed.. It has been harmonically changed.. and not only to make the c#m chord sound d flat major, but there are other tweaks, some of which don't seem to work in the context set up at all.. But i get that 'flavor' difference that you are attracted to.You will either have to get the score from the one who posted it, or sound it out yourself, and piece it together , like a puzzle.

There are pieces that are reminiscent  of this though, … something Like Chopin middle section of Fantasy impromptu - (where it goes into d flat major - ) or the raindrop prelude - (also in  Dflat major) or the B flat minor sonata - slow movement excerpt - (where it goes into Dflat major) .
Im sure that others could come up w better examples here..

4'33"
roshankakiya123
PS Silver Member

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 10:55:51 PM »

The music in the video above occasionally seems to alternate between C# minor and Db major which explains the presence of dissonant sounds that are probably beyond the 12 tones in the chromatic scale. I think the creator of the video above has used a recording of the aforementioned piece in its original key, C# minor, and used sound/audio editing software to artificially convert its key to Db major. The result is not perfect, but it is captivating nonetheless.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: