Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Harmony progressions I I V I; I II V I; VI II V I and the entire circle of fifth  (Read 1143 times)

Offline benzekri

• PS Silver Member
Hello, I'm looking for musical pieces (or extracts) where I can find some harmonics progressions :
I I V I;
I II V I;
I IV V I;
VI II V I
and also the entire circle of fifth (as in the Passacaile of Haendel in G)

Thanks a lot

HB

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
I don't see any replies, so here's a simple one I just thought of:

the Rondo from Beethoven's Op. 26 is based around a portion of the circle (I can't remember exactly which chords are being outlined, but I am thinking of the first two themes of the rondo).

I don't see why you couldn't just take the ideas and just keep extending them to all twelve keys, to make a kind of exercise out of it.  The arpeggiated chord fragments are very regular and it seems that you could just continue the pattern using ear alone.  At any rate, I don't see why not, until you reach the end of the keyboard.

If I'm not misremembering, pretty much all of your progressions are covered somewhere in there, except the complete cycle.

There's also the chorded cadences and the arpeggiated patterns in the non-fugue portion of the Em Partita's Toccata -- if you're really desperate for written material, it seems you could do those in all keys as well with relatively little trouble.  Probably a good sight-transposition exercise, I guess, if you want to do that.

Also, for a joke reply, there's always CPE Bach's Solfeggietto, which I'm sure no one ever gets tired of.
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.

Offline klavieronin

• PS Silver Member
For the circle of 5ths have a look at Beethoven's 2 Preludes Op.39. Both literally move around the circle of 5ths.

There is also a little Quadrille by Hayden that uses I I V I (although the V is technically V7) - https://www.musicnotes.com/images/productimages/mtd/MN0017406.gif

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert