Piano Forum logo
November 23, 2017, 10:26:36 PM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

The Nocturnes by Chopin – New Urtext Edition

The Nocturnes span the whole of Frédéric Chopin’s career, and among them are some of the composer’s most beloved works. Piano Street has now published a new urtext edition of the Nocturnes by Chopin. This new edition, containing Chopin's own fingering, attempts to present the most valid version of these pieces following consensus among today’s prominent scholars and pianists. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harmony progressions I I V I; I II V I; VI II V I and the entire circle of fifth  (Read 117 times)
benzekri
PS Silver Member

« on: October 24, 2017, 11:16:40 AM »

Hello, I'm looking for musical pieces (or extracts) where I can find some harmonics progressions :
I I V I;
I II V I;
I IV V I;
VI II V I
and also the entire circle of fifth (as in the Passacaile of Haendel in G)

Thanks a lot

HB
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
j_tour
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 12:56:11 AM »

I don't see any replies, so here's a simple one I just thought of:

the Rondo from Beethoven's Op. 26 is based around a portion of the circle (I can't remember exactly which chords are being outlined, but I am thinking of the first two themes of the rondo).

I don't see why you couldn't just take the ideas and just keep extending them to all twelve keys, to make a kind of exercise out of it.  The arpeggiated chord fragments are very regular and it seems that you could just continue the pattern using ear alone.  At any rate, I don't see why not, until you reach the end of the keyboard.

If I'm not misremembering, pretty much all of your progressions are covered somewhere in there, except the complete cycle.

There's also the chorded cadences and the arpeggiated patterns in the non-fugue portion of the Em Partita's Toccata -- if you're really desperate for written material, it seems you could do those in all keys as well with relatively little trouble.  Probably a good sight-transposition exercise, I guess, if you want to do that.

Also, for a joke reply, there's always CPE Bach's Solfeggietto, which I'm sure no one ever gets tired of.
klavieronin
PS Silver Member

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 01:17:20 AM »

For the circle of 5ths have a look at Beethoven's 2 Preludes Op.39. Both literally move around the circle of 5ths.

There is also a little Quadrille by Hayden that uses I I V I (although the V is technically V7) - https://www.musicnotes.com/images/productimages/mtd/MN0017406.gif
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: