Piano Forum logo
November 19, 2017, 04:49:02 AM *
   Forum Home   Help Search  

World’s biggest piano helps funding an even bigger piano

The Klavins-Piano Model 370 is a one-of-its-kind instrument. Its soundboard has twice the size of a concert grand of 2,75 m and it weighs 2 tons. In this video you will meet piano maker and experimentalist David Klavins in his workshop in Stuttgart and climb the stairs up to the world’s biggest piano. Read more >>

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tchaikoskvy Sentimental Waltz  (Read 67 times)
jonathon1
PS Silver Member

« on: November 11, 2017, 09:35:30 AM »

Hi, Im studying this and am really confused by the use of the rests.
My teacher insists on breaks between the bars so not to be played legato.
There are numerous rests which sit between the stave just over the dotted minim in the base. How do I play this?
I am struggling with the explanation as I live in France and still struggling with the language.  My teacher is brilliant but speaks no english.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
tnan123
PS Silver Member

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 05:24:16 PM »

I think I understand your question and your English is fine. I believe those rests signify the rests of the chords in the left hand above the bass line. Maybe you could further explain what your teacher means and why she insists that there is a break there? Personally I wouldn't make a noticeable break between each measure. Also make sure to hold the bass note the whole 3 beats for each measure. But your teacher might have a better explanation of why she insists on it "not to be played legato".

I also did a quick look on youtube and this video might be helpful if you haven't seen it yet.

Do you find this post useful? Yes / No
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Need more info or help?

Search pianostreet.com - the web's largest resource of information about piano playing:

Jump to:  

Most popular classical piano composers: