Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Interpretation Across Schools of Pianism  (Read 1221 times)

Offline johannesbrahms

• PS Silver Member
Interpretation Across Schools of Pianism
on: November 13, 2017, 06:04:55 AM
I've been reading a lot lately about the different schools of piano playing and how each "specialized" in certain parts of the repertoire. For instance, the French school with its basis in clarity and finger technique lent itself to the French repertoire, but a pianist with such a technique would be ill-suited to interpreting the German composers. Likewise, the approach of the Germans would fail to capture the essence of Tchaikovsky or Rachmaninoff. The Russians would in turn over-emotionalize French music and fail to exercise the necessary careful restraint characteristic of the French repertoire. (I'm generalizing for the sake of argument.)

I have several questions. Please assume that we are talking about, say, 1875-1925 (arbitrary numbers chosen for the sake of argument), when such schools still existed and pianism had not yet become homogenized.

1. Do you think that nationality in general affects one's interpretive ability or leanings regarding repertoire?

2. Do you think that these specific schools of technique affect interpretation of composers from "opposing" schools? (In other words, will someone with a "French" technique be a lesser interpreter of Beethoven or Brahms than someone with a "German" technique?)

3. Could, for example, an American or Englishman ever become as great an interpreter of Beethoven as a German? (For example, Schnabel, Backhaus, etc.)

If you have any thoughts not covered under these questions, please share. (Please avoid the "you're stupid for asking such a question" type of response that can be observed elsewhere on the internet. It's just rude and pointless. Also, please note that I do not necessarily share the opinions or theories I am asking about.)

Offline rachmaninoff_forever

• PS Silver Member
Re: Nationality's Effect on Interpretation
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 06:10:01 AM
I understand what you're trying to say but I think you could make a better title

Cause nationality doesn't automatically mean you're gonna play in the style of the nationality you identify with
Live large, die large.  Leave a giant coffin.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert