Piano Forum

International Piano Day 2024
Piano Day is an annual worldwide event that takes place on the 88th day of the year, which in 2024 is March 28. Established in 2015, it is now well known across the globe. Every year it provokes special concerts, onstage and online, as well as radio shows, podcasts, and playlists. Read more >>

Topic: Mozart Sonatas  (Read 1777 times)

Offline pianosp

Mozart Sonatas
on: November 16, 2017, 01:19:11 PM
Hi. I am starting Mozart's Sonata in D major K. 576. I am more familiar with Beethoven sonatas at the moment. In terms of difficulty, what Beethoven sonata can K. 576 compare to

Offline tnan123

Re: Mozart Sonatas
Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 03:39:43 PM
K 576 is probably considered the hardest one. It's hard to say for sure as you might find some aspects of Beethoven or Mozart or specific aspects in each piece easier or harder than other people.

In general I would say it's easier than the major Beethoven sonatas like Waldstein, Appassionata, or his late ones (Op. 101, 106, and 109-111). Perhaps it might be similar to the Hunt Op. 31 No. 3 or A Thérèse Op 78 in terms of difficulty.

Is this your first Mozart piano sonata? If so, I would highly reconsider doing another one before tackling this piece. Did you choose it? I find it hard to see a good teacher assigning this as a first Mozart piano sonata unless the student really was interested in this piece in particular.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert