Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Examples of neapolitan chords.  (Read 4222 times)

Offline faa2010

• PS Silver Member
Examples of neapolitan chords.
on: April 11, 2018, 05:46:50 PM
Greetings,

Could you give me some examples of pieces where there are the next chords?

-Neapolitan 6th
-French, german and italian 6th chords.

I understand that all are part of the subdominant family, have an augmented 6th, and after them, either a K6/4 or a dominant chord can appear.

Online brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: Examples of neapolitan chords.
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 07:45:26 PM
Neapolitan sixth chord is a major triad formed on the flatted second degree of the scale, so it would be, in the key of c minor, a Db major chord. It is called a Neapolitan sixth because it is usually used in first inversion (ie with the third of the chord in the bass), which would have been indicated in figured bass as a 6 under the bass line. You can find an example in measure 3 of Beethoven's Bagatelle opus 119, no. 9, where you'll find a first inversion Bb major chord in a piece opening in a minor.

The Italian augmented sixth consists of the tonic, the augmented fourth and the flatted sixth. There's an example in measure 12 of the Overture to the Magic Flute.

The French augmented sixth chord is the Italian augmented sixth plus the second degree of the scale. You can find an example in measure 38 of the minuet from Beethoven's Piano Sonata Opus 10, no. 3.

The German augmented sixth chord is the Italian augmented sixth plus a minor mode third degree of the scale. You can find an example in measure 33 of the second movement of Beethovens first String Quarter, Op.18, no. 1.

All this I found in Kostka and Payne, Tonal Harmony.

Offline faa2010

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 01:36:08 AM
Thanks for the examples, because I wanted to find them in other pieces, but it seems difficult and tricky.

Eg, I wanted to find in the Chopin Nocturne op 55 no 1, maybe there is a Neapolitan 6th in bar 6, maybe not. And I though there was an italian 6th in bar 19, but it was just a V7/V.

Offline cfluke

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 06:20:03 PM
Chopin Nocturne Op 27 No 1 has Neapolitan chords (in first inversion and arpeggiated). Look for the D naturals in the first page or so. You'll generally find a D Major chord.

Many classical pieces, especially sonatas, use the augmented 6th chords. You'll find them very often before a half cadence

Online brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 09:19:56 PM
Thanks for the examples, because I wanted to find them in other pieces, but it seems difficult and tricky.

Eg, I wanted to find in the Chopin Nocturne op 55 no 1, maybe there is a Neapolitan 6th in bar 6, maybe not. And I though there was an italian 6th in bar 19, but it was just a V7/V.

Sure, in Op 55 no 1 measure 6, there's a Gb major chord in first inversion, that's a Neapolitan sixth. And you're right about bar 19; it's a V7/V. The middle c in the left hand on the second beat, which might have caused confusion, is a suspension, carried over (in the mind's ear) from the previous measure.

Offline samwitdangol

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 04:00:09 PM
Chopin's first ballade starts with a Neapolitan chord.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert