Piano Forum

Remembering the great Maurizio Pollini
Legendary pianist Maurizio Pollini defined modern piano playing through a combination of virtuosity of the highest degree, a complete sense of musical purpose and commitment that works in complete control of the virtuosity. His passing was announced by Milan’s La Scala opera house on March 23. Read more >>

Topic: Any advice for an aspiring teacher?  (Read 1665 times)

Offline maplecleff1215

Any advice for an aspiring teacher?
on: September 13, 2018, 11:45:18 PM
I'm very seriously considering majoring in piano pedagogy. I'm mostly worried about financial stability and burning out on teaching. Could anyone share any experiences or advice? Or any other general tips?

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Any advice for an aspiring teacher?
Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 05:37:54 PM
Don't put all your eggs in one basket.  Go ahead and  major in pedagogy, if you are passionate about the subject, you will enjoy it.

However, many successful professional musicians will be entrepreneurial and have a diverse skill set.  In part, this diversity of activities is what keeps them from burning out.  That includes those with teaching jobs at a conservatory or even university professors.  While teaching may be your main activity you may want to do other things like: accompany or direct a choir, do vocal coaching for the students of your colleague voice teachers, write or submit papers to journals, compose and publish music for students based on your experiences as a teacher.  You never know, maybe you might get into oil painting as a thing to take your mind off work (a number of my teachers are accomplished at some form of visual art). 

Plan on having multiple income sources.  It is a reality for most pro musicians, even those employed by a large institution.  This is both the curse and blessing of being a musician.  For many other professions, if you get laid off you are basically hung dry without a job.  For a musician, it may just mean a temporary reduction in income, because there are several jobs always lined up. 
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline lauriekeys

• PS Silver Member
Re: Any advice for an aspiring teacher?
Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 07:35:34 PM
For the past 15 years I have taught piano part-time making a good income. I still look forward to teaching and attribute it to the method I teach and its amazing training programs, which teach not only content, but managing relationships and your business.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert