Piano Forum

Rhapsody in Blue – A Piece of American History at 100!
The centennial celebration of George Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue has taken place with a bang and noise around the world. The renowned work of American classical music has become synonymous with the jazz age in America over the past century. Piano Street provides a quick overview of the acclaimed composition, including recommended performances and additional resources for reading and listening from global media outlets and radio. Read more >>

Topic: Petroushka: Danse Russe (Stravinsky)  (Read 1409 times)

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Petroushka: Danse Russe (Stravinsky)
on: April 04, 2019, 03:22:16 PM
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline themeandvariation

• PS Silver Member
Re: Petroushka: Danse Russe (Stravinsky)
Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 04:40:53 PM
Noah, generally I feel you have the spirit of this piece. And you meet the technical challenges very well. Great work!..  The only quibble for me would be one of an interpretive approach.  One can already hear the French influence in Stravinsky's voice.. But is in in this light that I would temper some a couple spots to have less rubato, as perhaps it sounds a little 'too French'.  Also, Stravinsky has gone and on about about eschewing a 'romantic' approach.  He likes things 'dry', steady pulse, clarity of the line (which you do very well, btw), and many times there are no gradual intensities of volume, but more treated as 'volume terraces' or levels...
These are only thoughts that you might consider, but I also think that your rendition holds up very well as a convincing statement!  (I'd watch the timing on those jumping LH grace notes near the end, but again, this is a quibble.
Wonderful to hear this work again.. Great post, Noah. I'm glad you are venturing into more contemporary composition.. (Though, this one is still over a 100 years old..)
At some point, try checking out the Ligeti etudes...
Cheers!
4'33"

Offline pianoville

Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 04:55:42 PM
I quite liked it actually! The technique is of course excellent, and I have nothing to say about  that. For the most part I think your interpretation sounds very nice, but there are some things that I noticed while listening. Firstly, I think that your interpretation lacks a bit of gusto and playfulness. The second thing I thought about is the section starting about 50 seconds in. As I said before, I think the playfulness is missing here. i would use a little less pedal and also think more about the base line, which is quite important in my opinion. Also, why did you ignore those little fortissimo outbursts? I think it's important to use that sudden fortissimo there, because that will also add to the playfulness.
These are only my thoughts, and of course you don't have to agree with what I'm saying, because your interpretation of this piece is already excellent and at this level it really comes down to personal taste.
Have you played the other movements?
"Perfection itself is imperfection." - Vladimir Horowitz

Offline pencilart3

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 05:08:52 PM
@themeandvariations, thank you for the feedback! I appreciate the kind words...

many times there are no gradual intensities of volume, but more treated as 'volume terraces' or levels...

Excellent observation. I think you hit the nail on the head. I actually played it in a masterclass last night and the guy had similar thoughts.

At some point, try checking out the Ligeti etudes...

I really want to try one next semester! #4, fanfares, really tempts me :D

@pianoville dude, thank you for that feedback. Also very helpful.

Firstly, I think that your interpretation lacks a bit of gusto and playfulness.

I agree. Do you have advice for how to make that happen?

The second thing I thought about is the section starting about 50 seconds in. As I said before, I think the playfulness is missing here. i would use a little less pedal and also think more about the base line, which is quite important in my opinion. Also, why did you ignore those little fortissimo outbursts? I think it's important to use that sudden fortissimo there, because that will also add to the playfulness.

Spot on, I've actually started to incorporate this in the last 3 weeks since it was recorded. The reason for ignoring the sf is mainly technical. It's a really long leap for both hands and scary to come down on those fast notes with force. I'm working on it, but I definitely agree with you. :)

Have you played the other movements?

I've done some of the second, but not finished it. The third looks like a monster which I hope to play in the afterlife :O
You might have seen one of my videos without knowing it was that nut from the forum
youtube.com/noahjohnson1810

Offline pianoville

Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 06:18:08 PM

I agree. Do you have advice for how to make that happen?

I actually think it would benefit from a slightly faster tempo (if it is possible for you, of course), as well as a slightly more "percussive" touch and in a few places a little less pedal (only in my opinion of course). My strongest recommendation would be to sit down and experiment with the piece yourself though!
For a good recording I would recommend listening to Yuja Wang. You don't need to play it that fast though  ;D
"Perfection itself is imperfection." - Vladimir Horowitz
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert