Piano Forum

Enfant Terrible or Childishly Innocent? – Prokofiev’s Complete Piano Works Now on Piano Street
In our ongoing quest to provide you with a complete library of classical piano sheet music, the works of Sergey Prokofiev have been our most recent focus. As one of the most distinctive and original musical voices from the first half of the 20th century, Prokofiev has an obvious spot on the list of top piano composers. Welcome to the intense, humorous, and lyrical universe of his complete Sonatas, Concertos, character pieces, and transcriptions! Read more >>

Topic: Bach - The Goldberg Variations: Aria + Var. 1  (Read 1620 times)

Offline optimist125

• PS Silver Member
Bach - The Goldberg Variations: Aria + Var. 1
on: November 18, 2019, 03:07:28 AM

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Re: Bach - The Goldberg Variations: Aria + Var. 1
Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 09:12:14 AM
Well, I admire your gumption, and I think your username is apt.

Of course you know this already, but the notes aren't there yet.  That should be fixed.  The occassional missed note isn't, to me, normally, a big deal, but IMHO in this context it's huge, since these are extremely familiar, and the clarity can't be avoided.

I like that you're doing something different with the repeats — that's good. 

Just to isolate the first variation:  can you sing each voice, whether in aloud or in your inner ear?

That's not a sly reference to Gould — it seems clear you've studied a number of different interpretations, and I'm sure you're familiar with Gould, Hewitt, and everyone. 

I'd rather hear this small set of the Aria+Var1 in one unified concept, as though.  Just as though one person were singing it.

Oh, and especially the Aria, and especially the B section of the Aria.  Are your hands small, or is it a choice you made to not connect the downward voices in the bass?

Final point about the Aria as a whole:  half the time it seems like you're using a click-track, which can be good, given some of the excesses one might be tempted to take.  But when you employ rubato, it seems it's either "on" or "off," not organic (vide Aristotle). 

So, I think a rapper might say, "Not bad, but work up your flow, son!"

In short, you have the chops, maybe (that's not clear to me), but needs work on the concept.

My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert