\"\"
Piano Forum logo

Pedaling (U.C.) and Baroque (Read 1095 times)

Offline samuel.saarikivi

Pedaling (U.C.) and Baroque
« on: December 29, 2019, 02:22:18 PM »
Hi!

Do you think it's OK to use even Una Corda with Baroque pieces (like Bach Sinfonias) or do you think that we should be using zero pedaling with Baroque?

Offline brogers70

• PS Silver Member
Re: Pedaling (U.C.) and Baroque
«Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 02:32:24 PM »
Why not? It's a piano. If you want to play a harpsichord, play a harpsichord. Even apart from that, the U.C. pedal could easily be considered sort of like switching manuals on a double manual harpsichord to get a different tone. So don't play Bach as though it were Brahms or Debussy, but don't be afraid to play the piano as a piano.

Offline j_tour

• PS Silver Member
Re: Pedaling (U.C.) and Baroque
«Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 03:40:52 AM »
That's a nice way of putting it, above. 

I never even considered the una corda pedal for Bach, but why not? 

I admit I find it more refreshing and liberating to play without the sustain pedal you know, just because so much other music really needs it, it's a nice change of pace.  But it's handy to cheat while turning a page or in some tricky bits where you can't spontaneously grow an extra finger or two.  Even half-pedalling can do the job.  I think of it as an additional trick that can be used very musically.

Hey, it's a piano:  if it sounds good, it probably is good.
My name is Nellie, and I take pride in helping protect the children of my community through active leadership roles in my local church and in the Boy Scouts of America.  Bad word make me sad.