Piano Forum

An Uncancelled Beethoven Celebration
In this interview with Konstantin Scherbakov, the phenomenal performer shares his experiences derived from a lifelong relationship with the composer, on stage, in the recording studio and as an influential tutor. In this first part of the interview we get to learn about Scherbakov's year of celebration and complete sonatas recording project. Read more >>

Topic: Chopin Scherzo #2: fingering challenge  (Read 818 times)

Offline noam1

Chopin Scherzo #2: fingering challenge
on: January 12, 2020, 10:29:46 PM
Hello folks!

I'm struggling with the best fingering for the attached section of the Chopin Scherzo #2.

This is toward the end of the piece, when the original theme reprises, and Chopin does some bizarre modulations before arriving at the triumphant D-flat chord.

I can't find a fingering that allows me to play up to speed.

Any suggestions?

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Re: Chopin Scherzo #2: fingering challenge
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 12:42:45 AM
Are the written LH fingerings yours?

For the LH in this entire section I would use 5 for the bottom note and 1 for the top, for the middle notes use the fingers that fit best.  It is a consistent pattern that is easy to remember and gather speed.  Keep your wrist supple and flexible as you span the chords.

First system, last measure: 532123
Second system, last measure: 542124
Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert