Piano Forum

New Book: Women and the Piano by Susan Tomes
Susan Tomes' latest book is a captivating and thought-provoking exploration of women pianists’ history, praised for its engaging storytelling, thorough research, and insightful analysis. The book combines historical narrative with Tomes' personal insights as a performing female pianist. Read more >>

Topic: Classical --> Jazz  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Dikai

• PS Silver Member
Classical --> Jazz
on: January 27, 2005, 08:02:56 PM
yo, there should be a lot of jazz people here??  how did you guys make the transition from classical to jazz??  i'm 23, am i too old to learn??  it would seem that jazz pianists just one day start playing jazz and skip the learning part.  just amazing.

kinda too rooted into classical, trying to think off-beat is just so unnatural, and the chords are way too complicated... ouch...

Offline Brian Healey

• PS Silver Member
Re: Classical --> Jazz
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 08:56:53 PM
In high school, I heard Thelonious Monk for the first time, and that was it. I began studying jazz from then on. I still studied classical, but jazz became (and still is) my main interest. However, when you say "skip the learning part," what does that mean? I've spent way more practice time and intellectual energy trying to play jazz at a high level than I ever spent playing classical music. Of course, for me that's by choice, but what I mean is that learning to play jazz is every bit as involved as "classical" music.

Peace,
Bri

Offline Dikai

• PS Silver Member
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 09:06:13 PM
but then all jazz music comes in chords only, how can i know what to play??  by just listening to the CDs and MP3s doesn't quite help either, i don't have good ears for too many notes... the most transcriptions of so-called "jazz" turn out to be not quite so jazz.... more like boogie-boogie thingy... really hope that there can be as much learning material for jazz as for classical

Offline mound

• PS Silver Member
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 09:39:37 PM
you have to spend alot of time studying jazz harmony and theory in order to "learn the language" - then you have to do lots and lots of listening, and most importantly, get yourself into a group and start applying it.  learning jazz is a very different process from learning classical, and I guarantee " jazz pianists just one day start playing jazz and skip the learning part." is very far from the truth.

Offline lilpep4ever

• PS Silver Member
Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 03:05:35 AM
heyy...WELL...I LIKE JAZZ MUSIC BETTER THAN CLASSICAL MUSIC.... BUT MY MOM MAKES ME PLAY CLASSICAL MUSIC AND I DON'T REALLY SEE ANY JAZZ MUSIC THAT IS FOR PIANO...AT LEAST THAT IS A SOLO INSTEAD OF LIKE JAMMING WITH OTHER INSTRUMENTS....
( ( * / / - -* - > > EARLY PIANO PLAYER < < - *- - / / * ) )

Offline twilightdriad

• PS Silver Member
Reply #5 on: February 03, 2005, 03:28:30 AM
I have played classical, pop, and church-type piano for nine years now. Just this last fall I was given the opportunity to audition for our college jazz band for keyboard. I am fairly fast as sightreading and blagging it so I got in without a problem. But I am not satisfied with what I'm doing!

Just like the first poster - I don't have a very good ear for hearing something a million times then picking it out or improving it. I have tried a few books, techniques, study with jazz pros here - to no avail. I am slowly getting better, but not enough to rahlly make a difference in the rhythm section.

Sigh.
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert