Piano Forum

The Complete Piano Works of 16 Composers
Piano Street’s digital sheet music library is constantly growing. With the additions made during the past months, we now offer the complete solo piano works by sixteen of the most famous Classical, Romantic and Impressionist composers in the web’s most pianist friendly user interface. Read more >>

Topic: Repertoire recommendations for intermediate-advanced student  (Read 2562 times)

Offline fcb_havke

• PS Silver Member
Hello,
I am looking for suggestions on a new piece to play. I have just finished playing Rachmaninoff's prelude in C-Sharp minor op.3 no.2
I am looking for a piece either this level or harder and preferably Chopin.
Thanks in advance.

Offline tripletrobot42

• PS Silver Member
Why not some Chopin Etudes? I mean, you got though Rachmaninoff's Prelude in c sharp minor, so you clearly have the chops for it! They're extremely fun to learn (albeit, very tedious at times) and perform, and learning some these etudes will provide you with the skill set to play much more difficult music. Some more accessible etudes include Op. 10 no. 3,5,9,10,12 or Op. 25 no. 1,2,7, and 9. These etudes fit rather comfortably in the hand (well, this is compared to something like the infamous Op. 25 no. 6, with ridiculously difficult thirds passages), and are perfect for an intermediate to advanced piano student.

Offline fredchopin

• PS Silver Member
Why not some Chopin Etudes? I mean, you got though Rachmaninoff's Prelude in c sharp minor, so you clearly have the chops for it! They're extremely fun to learn (albeit, very tedious at times) and perform, and learning some these etudes will provide you with the skill set to play much more difficult music. Some more accessible etudes include Op. 10 no. 3,5,9,10,12 or Op. 25 no. 1,2,7, and 9. These etudes fit rather comfortably in the hand (well, this is compared to something like the infamous Op. 25 no. 6, with ridiculously difficult thirds passages), and are perfect for an intermediate to advanced piano student.
  I might have to disagree with you there. Chopin etudes no matter which one should not be attempted until an advanced level of piano has been attained. Although they are etudes after all, playing some of the ones you've mentioned (op10,10,12,5 and 25 no 9) can lead to improper development of technique. Might I recommend trying Fantaisie impromptu or grande valse brillante. They are just a little more difficult and by mastering them you will achieve skills to move on to more complex Chopin pieces. Good luck

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
  I might have to disagree with you there. Chopin etudes no matter which one should not be attempted until an advanced level of piano has been attained. Although they are etudes after all, playing some of the ones you've mentioned (op10,10,12,5 and 25 no 9) can lead to improper development of technique. Might I recommend trying Fantaisie impromptu or grande valse brillante. They are just a little more difficult and by mastering them you will achieve skills to move on to more complex Chopin pieces. Good luck

How would studying the etudes "lead to improper development of technique," all the while the Fantasie Impromptu and Grand Valse Brillante not carry a similar risk, as you would imply?

With supervision of a good teacher, I see no reason why the Etudes could be harmful.

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Hello,
I am looking for suggestions on a new piece to play. I have just finished playing Rachmaninoff's prelude in C-Sharp minor op.3 no.2
I am looking for a piece either this level or harder and preferably Chopin.
Thanks in advance.

Look at some early period Scriabin. 

Here for starters

Made a Liszt. Need new Handel's for Soler panel & Alkan foil. Will Faure Stein on the way to pick up Mendels' sohn. Josquin get Wolfgangs Schu with Clara. Gone Chopin, I'll be Bach

Offline justapianoplayer123

• PS Silver Member
Hi fcb_havke!

You could try the Chopin Nocturne in C sharp minor op. posthumous.
If you want, you could try the Revolutionary etude. It is fun to learn.
If you are looking for something besides Chopin,
you could try Liszt.
I know people might say it is overplayed, but it would be good to learn Hungarian Rhapsody 2 by Liszt.

Offline fredchopin

• PS Silver Member
Look he has the right to learn any piece that he wants. Without proper strength and well developped dexterity he would be hurting himself by practising CHopin etudes. You have scales, arpeggios and Octaves running back can forth across the keyboard. Fantaisie impromptu is much easier than all but one Chopin etudes and Grande Valse brillante is a little easier than fantaisie impromptu. Look he might be able to learn them but it will be a painful process.

Offline justapianoplayer123

• PS Silver Member
I edited my previous post. I meant it for fcb_havke.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
Look he has the right to learn any piece that he wants. Without proper strength and well developped dexterity he would be hurting himself by practising CHopin etudes. You have scales, arpeggios and Octaves running back can forth across the keyboard. Fantaisie impromptu is much easier than all but one Chopin etudes and Grande Valse brillante is a little easier than fantaisie impromptu. Look he might be able to learn them but it will be a painful process.

So "scales, arpeggios and Octaves running back can forth across the keyboard" in the Etudes could cause hurt, yet Fantasie Impromptu and Grande Valse brillante contain those things as well. 

Again, with the guidance of a good teacher there is no harm tackling works with demanding technical requirements.  Injury can become a factor when someone is pushing far beyond their ability, or they use incorrect technique for extended periods of time.

Offline fredchopin

• PS Silver Member
So "scales, arpeggios and Octaves running back can forth across the keyboard" in the Etudes could cause hurt, yet Fantasie Impromptu and Grande Valse brillante contain those things as well. 

Again, with the guidance of a good teacher there is no harm tackling works with demanding technical requirements.  Injury can become a factor when someone is pushing far beyond their ability, or they use incorrect technique for extended periods of time.
You do have a point that with the guidance of a good teacher tackling difficult works are possible, BUT the etudes are tiring, the scales, appegios and Octaves are perpetual and relentless. In addition to that, they are played at ridiculous tempos.

Most Chopin etudes are at a level of Henle 8 with the exception of a few at 7 and at 9. The Rach prelude is at a Henle 5. By playing the GVB(Henle 6) and Fantaisie(Henle 7), the pianist is making a proper transition into the world of Chopin etudes and will have an easier time playing them.

Offline dogperson

My teacher recommends Chopin Etudes for technique building much earlier but suggests the tempo does need to be pushed to performance level.

Offline quantum

• PS Silver Member
You do have a point that with the guidance of a good teacher tackling difficult works are possible, BUT the etudes are tiring, the scales, appegios and Octaves are perpetual and relentless. In addition to that, they are played at ridiculous tempos.

Most Chopin etudes are at a level of Henle 8 with the exception of a few at 7 and at 9. The Rach prelude is at a Henle 5. By playing the GVB(Henle 6) and Fantaisie(Henle 7), the pianist is making a proper transition into the world of Chopin etudes and will have an easier time playing them.

Playing the Etudes would be tiring if you are using inefficient technique.  With good technique you should be able to practice any of the Etudes for a reasonable length practice session without any significant fatigue. 

Grading pieces is a subjective practice.  Each person has their own strengths and weaknesses.  For example: a person labelled as a grade 7 may find certain pieces at grade 8 very easy, yet struggle with a piece at grade 6.  One should be working on developing technique on a personal level and not rely on a grade system to define what is the next step in their journey. 

Offline sarah_

• PS Silver Member
how about a schubert impromptu?
For more information about this topic, click search below!

Logo light pianostreet.com - the website for classical pianists, piano teachers, students and piano music enthusiasts.

Subscribe for unlimited access

Follow us

Piano Street Digicert